Fire damages home near Cissna Park; no injuries reported

Fire damages home near Cissna Park; no injuries reported

CISSNA PARK — A home in a subdivision north of Cissna Park sustained extensive damage Monday when a fire spread from its fireplace to its attic.
 
Joe Young, chief of the Cissna Park Fire Protection District, estimated that 25 firefighters from Cissna Park, Buckley, Loda and Milford responded shortly before 11:30 a.m. to the fire at 114 W. Hislop Drive in the Kellart Lake subdivision, located off of Illinois 49 in southern Iroquois County.
 
The single-story ranch-style home is owned by Larry Martyn and his wife, who were using their fireplace when they smelled smoke and called 911, Young said.
 
Young said it appears the fire spread from the fireplace, up through the chimney and into the attic.
 
“There was smoke rolling out of the roof vents when firefighters pulled up (to the home),” Young said.
 
The damage was isolated to the living room and attic but was “pretty extensive,” Young said. 
 
“It caved the roof in,” Young said. “The center of the house had quite a bit of damage to it.”
 
Firefighters had the fire put out by 3 p.m.
 
No injuries were reported.
Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments