Rantoul apartment fire sparked by food left on stove

Rantoul apartment fire sparked by food left on stove

RANTOUL - Food left unattended on a stove was blamed for a Rantoul apartment fire that caused an estimated $20,000 damage Thursday night.

Rantoul firefighters were called to 1328 Juniper Drive at 8:59 p.m.

Fire Chief Ken Waters said heavy smoke was coming from the first-floor apartment on the west end of the building.

“We evacuated the rest of the complex and put the kitchen fire out within 15 minutes of arrival,” Waters said.

Firefighters spent the next hour overhauling the apartment to make sure the fire had been extinguished.

Twenty firefighters responded. They cleared the scene at 10:30 p.m.

Waters said the building is owned by Ilylas Kaplan and was occupied by Iras Ganes.

He said none of the other tenants in the apartment building were forced to leave their homes, although firefighters did eject smoke out of the
neighboring apartments.

No injuries were reported.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments