Gas leak in Champaign has been stopped
CHAMPAIGN— Champaign firefighters report that the gas leak at First Street and Gerty Drive has been stopped, and the gas main has been shut down.
Firefighters were called to the scene of the gas leak earlier this afternoon.
According to a fire department report, Ameren Illinois has a crew on the scene addressing the leak.
Fire department personnel went to the surrounding buildings in the immediate area with detection equipment and detected no readings.
Fire department personnel are expected to stay on the scene until about 4:30 p.m.
Fire Marshal John Koller said there is no danger to the buildings, and the occupants are safe.