'Son of Satan' attacks woman

THOMASBORO — A Champaign man who told a woman Monday that he was sent to kill her is in custody at the Champaign County Jail.

Aaron Munds, 40, who listed an address on Holmes Court, was charged Tuesday with home invasion and attempted murder after a bizarre attack on a woman at a home in Thomasboro at mid-day Monday.

He is being held on $2.5 million bond and is under suicide watch. He appeared Tuesday afternoon before Judge John Kennedy in a protective gown with his hands shackled and said he needed a public defender to represent him.

In spite of being choked nearly to unconsciousness and threatened repeatedly with death, the 67-year-old woman escaped serious injury.

Sheriff’s Sgt. Dan Coile said about 12:10 p.m. Monday, Munds knocked on the door of a home on County Road 2400 N where the Urbana woman was acting as a caregiver to her older sister.

The woman did not recognize Munds and asked him what he wanted. He held out a lottery ticket and told her he had been sent to give it to her.

As the woman unlocked the door, he barged in, saying: “I am the son of Satan and was sent here to kill you,” Coile said.

Munds then allegedly grabbed the woman by the neck in the foyer of the home and began choking her. She fought with him, got away and ran down the hall to the kitchen. He caught up with her, again grabbing her by the neck, and pinning her against a refrigerator.

“When he was choking her against the refrigerator, he kept telling her, ‘I have to kill you,’” Coile said, adding that at one point, the woman fell to the floor as she almost passed out.

When Munds loosened his hold on her, she ran to the front yard.

He chased her outside, tackled her to the ground, kneeled over her, and again began the choking, saying, “I’m going to kill you,” Coile said.

“She was unable to breathe and was losing consciousness. She quit fighting and lay there. He released her,” Coile said.

Coile said Munds is 6 feet tall and weighs 175 pounds. The woman is 5-3 and weighs 150.

About the time he released his grip, the woman’s older sister came into the yard and announced to Munds that they needed to talk.

Munds then walked to the back of the house with the 72-year-old woman while her younger sister called 911.

Coile said the call came at 12:24 p.m. and it took Deputy Brandon Reifsteck 10 minutes to arrive.

The victim came running out of the house to Reifsteck, yelling the intruder took her sister.

Reifsteck walked to the rear of the home and found Munds and the older sister sitting on the deck engaged in what appeared to be a civil conversation.

“He saw Munds had a cut on the side of his face and mud on the knees of his pants,” Coile said.

The older sister then told Munds, “You need to speak to this nice officer,” Coile said.

When Reifsteck asked Munds who he was, he said: “I am the son of God. I own this property.”

As he was being taken into custody and searched, he told Reifsteck that he was the “son of Satan.”

When asked what he was doing there, he replied: “God sent me.”

And when asked how he got there, he replied: “God drove me.”

Coile said the car that the victim said Munds arrived is registered to Munds’ father-in-law.

Champaign police contacted that man, who reported that Munds had been acting strangely for a few weeks and that co-workers at an Urbana car dealership where Munds is employed had persuaded him to check himself into the hospital Monday for treatment.

Coile said the woman who was attacked did not know Munds. She refused medical treatment at the house but was taken to the hospital later by a family member.

Coile said deputies found her covered in mud. She had red marks on her neck,  complained of a pain in her rib, and sustained a cut to one hand.

Her older sister was not harmed.

Munds was taken to the county jail, where he’s been under close observation since being booked in.

An auto mechanic, Munds grew up in the area. He attended Holy Cross School and Central High School. He is married.

Kennedy set his next court date for April 15.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

Huh wrote on March 18, 2014 at 12:03 pm

It's wonderful that her older sister was able to temporarily talk some since into her younger sister's attacker. It probably saved both of their lives.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 18, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Sadly, the two sisters may live in fear of this man for their remaining years.  It would have saved so much if he had been sent to join his proclaimed father.

chumberley wrote on March 18, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Advocating for the execution of the mentally ill???  Really???  This man has obvious mental health issues, which his family and coworkers recognized.  The focus should be on the fact that the man checked into a hospital on Monday and attacked a woman on Tuesday.  Criticize the lack of treatment and support for the mentally ill.  Why was he ever discharged?

This is obviously a traumatic experience for these women, and hopefully they can find support to work through this.  But executing this man is not the answer.  With proper treatment, he may very well be able to be a contributing member of society again.  Sadly though, he will likely end up in the criminal justice system where he will receive inadequate (if any) treatment for his disorder.

Joe American wrote on March 18, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Actually, either of the sisters - or anyone else who happened to be present at the time - would have been 100% justified in using deadly force in self defense.  And even in the corrupt state of Illinois, it's doubtful that anyone would have faced charges.

Get over it.

chumberley wrote on March 18, 2014 at 9:03 pm

But his statement was not about using deadly force at the time of the incident.  I agree that if being attacked, people are justified to use whatever means necessary to adequately defend themselves.  However, he was referring to the subsequent outcome, saying that the women would be better off if the man had been killed.  This is completely unnecessary.  The fact is that he wasn't killed during the incident, so why make a statment suggesting that it would be better if he had been?  Why would his death improve the outcome?  Thankfully, everyone survived, including this man.  He needs help, but he doesn't deserve to die.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 18, 2014 at 11:03 pm

Read the comment again.  Your interjecting what you want it to say.  I was referring to the "subsequent outcome" had the women been armed.  His death during the attack would have guaranteed that both would continue living, and not living in fear during the rest of their years.

Yes, he does need help.  Sadly, it is questionable whether he will receive it due to the lack of mental health funding.  People would rather have the state provide a grant for a hiking trail than a grant for mental health services.  Does the man have insurance to pay for the mental health treatment?  The county, and the state will not foot the bill forever.  Does the man have others support to assure that he takes, and continues to take his prescribed medication?  Can he, or others afford to pay for the medication?  Your quick to complain, and preach; but what else are you doing regarding the mentally ill committing crimes?  Ask the sheriff what problems the county jail is experiencing with the criminal mentally ill.

chumberley wrote on March 19, 2014 at 8:03 am

I have read your statement many times.  There is nothing in it suggesting that you mean "had they been armed at the time."  Perhaps you should be more clear.

Please don't make assumptions about what you think I know or do for the mentally ill.  I am graduate student in sociology.  As an undergrad psychology/sociology major, I worked with the ACCESS Initiative and girls involved in the criminal justice system.  I am well aware of the fallacies of our society in caring for the mentally ill.  I am also well aware that a large percentage of the prison population is people with diagnosable mental illnesses.  However, I think you are misinformed about the violent nature of people with mental illness.  The mentally ill do commit crimes, and sadly get locked up instead of getting treatment.  But the mentally ill rarely commit violent crimes.  Just because this man did, does not mean that this is characteristic of the mentally ill.

Regardless, any suggestion that this situation would be better if the man was dead is offensive.  You are making a huge assumption that these women will live in fear.  They could just as well be compassionate about mental illness and forgive this man.  Not everyone holds your negative stereotypes.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 19, 2014 at 8:03 am

We are talking about "the man" who would have murdered an elderly woman if the deputy had not shown up.  Sonny, I worked in the field of social services for 40 plus years, and I have experience with the violent mentally ill.  I am not impressed with your undergrad degrees, your limited experience, or your grad student status.  Now, you can preach about what someone should say all you want.  Did I make myself "clear" for you, kid?

chumberley wrote on March 19, 2014 at 9:03 am

Again with your assumptions!  I am actually a woman, middle-aged, with a family.  Not  "Sonny" and not exactly a kid.  And again, the assumption that my experience is limited.  I also worked in the mental health field prior to completing my degree.  You have no idea about the breadth of my experience.  I didn't feel it necessary to provide my entire resume to validate my position.

But, my point is made, and you just keep confirming it.  You make judgements and assumptions about people whom you know absolutely nothing about, and then use those prejudices to support offensive statements.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 19, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Well, that makes it even worse given your age, family, and employment experience.  I find your "assumptions" regarding my initial comment offensive.  If you worked in the field of mental health, you would realize that mental health services are lacking compared to the past.  There are no mental health zone centers anymore.  Many people are lacking insurance to pay for mental health services.  The jails contain numerous mentally ill people who need a treatment facility rather than a jail.  It is not the fault of law enforcement.  It is not the fault of medical facilities.  The state has turned the problem over to communities with little funding.  It is the fault of the voters not demanding mental health treatment facilities.

My intial comment was regarding self defense, and not living in fear.  Until your family member is stalked by a mentally ill person, and your life has been threaten by another mentally ill person; I find you lacking experience.  Your reacting like a dreamy eyed idealist, and condemning others for advocating self defense.  Today's article indicates that the man refused to take his medication, and he obviously had no one to monitor him daily.

Good luck with your advanced degree in Sociology, and finding a job.  Make sure you get a administrative job because I doubt that you can cut it on the front line.  Now, you can rant and rave all you want.

chumberley wrote on March 19, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I did not make an assumption about your initial statement.  I read what it said.  You expected me to assume that you were talking about self-defense when you did not state that.

I am very well aware of the lack of funding for mental health treatment and the shifting of their treatment to hospitals and the criminal justice system.  On this point I do not disagree with your opinions.  In fact, reading your other comments, I actually completely agree with you.  What I disagree with is an opinion that the victims and the general public would be better served had this man been killed in self-defense.  I do advocate that self-defense was warranted and could have justifiably been used.  However, that was not the case.  I don't see any point in discussing whether or not the victims should have used lethal self-defense when the fact remains that they didn't.  All involved survived, so why make an argument that the use of deadly force against him is the preferred outcome?  It is one thing to say that lethal force was warranted in self-defense (it was), it is another thing to say that is the better outcome.  He does not deserve to die because the state and community fail to provide the services that he needs.

But again, you are making assumptions about me that you have no evidence to support.  You have no idea about my personal experiences with the mentally ill and having my life threatened.  I don't feel inclined to elaborate, but will just deny your assumption that I have no experience with this.

And again, you use such condescending and demeaning language.  Throughout this exchange, you have called me "Sonny" and a kid; told me that I am complaining,  preaching, and ranting and raving; that I am a dreamy eyed idealist; that my credentials and experience are not impressive enough to deserve respect; that I have limited experience with the things that I discuss; and that I would not be able to cut it in the field.  It seems to me as if you have a problem with interacting with people respectfully.  My responses have been directed towards your statements and assertions, whereas your responses have been personal attacks.

Based on your negative and disparaging remarks about me and this mentally ill man, I will say that you should probably consider a change of career.  You obviously have little compassion for the population with which you work, and your negative views about them only do them greater disservice.  Criticize the system all you want, and I am right there beside you.  But don't criticize the victims of the systems.  They do not deserve to be thrown on the fire because the government failed them.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 19, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I did change careers.  I retired after 40 plus years of providing services as a public service employee working for the State of Illinois.  I do find your assumptions regarding emminent, and future self defense to be those of a dreamy eyed idealist who would not be able to cut it in front line services.  Good luck with your future career.  Do you plan to provide direct services, or teach?

chumberley wrote on March 19, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I "cut it" in front line services just fine.  I made a conscious choice to further my education so that I would be better able to attack the problem at the source.  After working with menally ill and violent youth, I felt that they would be better served by undoing the societal problems that lead to their mental illness.  All mentally ill youth are not born with emotional and behavioral disorders.  Their disorders develop from their experiences with abuse, poverty, discrimination, etc.  By remedying the social situations that perpetuate these things, fewer youth and adults will develop violent disorders that warrant their removal from society.  For those that develop mental illness in the absence of such negative experiences, dismantling the social systems that oppress and ignore them (such as inadequate funding and treatment) will go far towards meeting their needs.

I have not spent tens of thousands of dollars and invested years into my education so that I can go back to providing direct service.  I believe that we currently need people providing direct services, and I have the utmost respect for what they do.  I just feel that my personal attributes put me in a better position to be able to serve people by addressing the larger social issues.  My intention is to conduct research to uncover and rectify the negative social situations that feed the development of mental illness, and to improve the life chances of people with mental illness.  The mentally ill are not the problem.  They are merely the symptoms of society's problems.  Addressing the societal issues that lead to the development and perpetuation of mental illness will better help prevent problems like this in the future.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 20, 2014 at 10:03 am

Good luck.  I hope that your education, and "personal attributes" lands you the job you desire.  Until the citizens pressure their politicians to fund mental health treatment instead of cutting funding for it, not much will change.  Again, good luck in your endeavor.

Ozwald wrote on March 18, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Friday, as in just a few days ago I had a conversation with Aaron...Something was wrong he is not by nature an evil man.  He has always been the kind of guy you'd be glad to see when your car had broken down on a scary road....he was that friendly face.  I understand the "need" people have to wish him death and harm.  Understand that he is a person with a severe illness.  He was taken to a place to get help monday and then released from said place right before this incident.   So this is a case of a care provider dismissing the concerns of the patient and his friends as well as a woman being attacked......He asked for help he was taken to a "safe" place they said he was fine, obviously he was not

Orbiter wrote on March 18, 2014 at 2:03 pm

This is a terrible incident, and I hope some good counseling support is available to help the victims move on with their lives.  Thank gooness a tragedy was avoided!

But come on, Sid, you don't really mean to advocate vigilantism do you? The accused attacker sounds mentally ill, and in need of some serious treatment. The response to mental illness should not be euthanasia, should it? Aren't we a more advanced, passionate society?  The shock of being attacked at one's front door is certainly frightening, but is it right to respond to every attack with deadly force?

Huh wrote on March 18, 2014 at 5:03 pm

WOW! The attacker was the one using deadly force and even told her that he was there to kill her and proceeded to do just that. You would rather let this nut out so the next time he is more successful. That's just creepy.

HOCKEYDAD wrote on March 18, 2014 at 2:03 pm

I feel Horrible for the Victim in this. I have known Aaron for many years and clearly something went very wrong in his mind. You could not have known a better, more solid  responsible man. Advocating his death is an awful thing to say about him Sid. My heart goes out to his family and to the victim.

Huh wrote on March 18, 2014 at 6:03 pm

Responsible men don't try and kill innocent little old ladies.

Ozwald wrote on March 18, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Responsible men with a mental illness do.  Who are we to judge?!?  When he sought help he was turned away! Does a sane man attack a 67 year old woman and then meet the police officer while having a "civil conversation" on a porch?  What part of this story just spoke to you and said "now here is a guy who just wanted some blood"  none of it.  Aaron attacked this woman and I feel so terrible for her and her sister as well as the pain and fear the family must be going through.   Aaron has a wife I bet she's probably a little stunned by this too.  So rather than calling him a killer and advocating his death lets leave the door cracked so maybe we can still view him as a human being not some rabid creature that is on your back porch.

highspeed wrote on March 18, 2014 at 3:03 pm

So deadly force is not supposed to be used against deadly force? She is lucky he didn't succeed and the sister is lucky too!

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 18, 2014 at 3:03 pm

Thanks highspeed.  When innocents are attacked especially if they are my family; I do not care if the attacker is mentally ill, or not.  If the attacker is terminated, there is no need to keep looking over the shoulder in fear.  I do not advocate "conceal and carry", but maintaining a firearm in the home can save your loved ones lives.

Treatment only works if the individual maintains their medication.  I have seen too many times when the mentally ill stops taking their medication.  There is not enough funding to treat, and monitor the mentally ill population that engages in violent crime.

The man was caught, and not injured.  That is great.  However if he had chosen the wrong place to exhibit his illness by trying to murder an innocent, he would never have the opportunity again.  Sorry if that bothers the previous commenters; but time does not permit diagnosis versus termination when innocents are subjected to evil.  Yes, evil does exist; and it is committed by people not Satan.

Ozwald wrote on March 18, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Sid I do not disagree that in the moment of the attack that deadly force was 100% warranted.  To stop the innocent woman from being attacked any and all means needed was justifiable.  I just don't want to see a mob with pitch forks and torches (speaking metaphorically).  The attack is over thankfully it was resolved without the victim suffering further harm.  No calls for his death will change what happend that is all I am trying to convey.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 18, 2014 at 7:03 pm

There is no "mob with pitch forks and torches".  Deadly force would have been warranted as you agree.  My point is that if he attacked an innocent elderly woman when her armed relatives were present, he would have been put down regardless if he was mentally ill or not.

If you have dealt with a mentally ill stalker, you would realize that there is little protection from the stalker.  The police cannot protect you, or your family 24/7.  You live in fear of the person going off of their meds, and returning.  You must decide that if the person returns to use deadly force, or not.  You might not be present the second time.  Protection of your family comes first.  Action during the first time guarantees no second time.  I really do not care if someone attempting to murder me, or my family is mentally ill or not.  I do care that they do not get a second opportunity to do it.

Bulldogmojo wrote on March 18, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Glad the woman survived.

It's not unusual for psychotics to believe they have communications with non-existent deities. It's a solid example of how religious indoctrination lays the groundwork for cognitive dissonance giving rise to paranoid delusions.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 18, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Are Atheists subject to it also?  In their belief of no higher power existence, do they suffer from paranoid delusions also?

Ozwald wrote on March 18, 2014 at 7:03 pm

this comment is a real unique opportunity to toss out your belief that God is not real and nothing more.

Sid Saltfork wrote on March 18, 2014 at 8:03 pm

That is bulldogmojo's point.  He is a self proclaimed atheist; and he has every right to be one.  I do believe in a supreme power, and self preservation.  God, and Satan did not attempt to murder this innocent woman.  A man attempted to murder her.  The irony is that the unsuccessful murderer would be considered by some to not face God's judgement because he was mentally ill.  Yet, some would feel that the victim killing the attacker in self defense would face God's judgement.  I would prefer to let God sort it out later.

Bulldogmojo wrote on March 19, 2014 at 8:03 am

The Abraham story you believe but...

SANDRA COILE wrote on March 18, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I am so pleased that this didn't turn out worse for the sisters.  They did an amazing job of staying cool and contacting the police.  When the older sister came out of the house this could have turned out worse.  I think they both deserve credit for their actions.  They are survivors!!

Hunt40 wrote on March 19, 2014 at 7:03 pm

I have known Aaron for at least 15 years, and while not close, I consider him a friend. He has always been a dependable, upstanding individual that would help anyone in need. What happened here is horrible, and can only be explained by Aaron's apparent mental illness. Anyone who knows him would agree. There is no one that fully understands the vast workings of the human mind, and what happend to Aaron's may never be discovered. I only hope that his victims can recover, and Aaron can be healed. Both of the families involved have a long road ahead, and I wish them the best.