Accidental fire damages Champaign home's garage

Accidental fire damages Champaign home's garage

CHAMPAIGN — Champaign firefighters quickly extinguished a fire that damaged the outside of an attached garage Saturday afternoon.

Champaign Fire Marshal John Koller said firefighters had the fire at 1806 Mayfair Road out within just a few minutes of receiving the call at 1:50 p.m.

The fire did not get into the living area, he said.

"It's accidental. They had a campfire the night before. The resident thought all the embers were out and put them in a bag next to the trash near the garage wall," he said.

With Saturday's winds, the smoldering embers reignited and set fire to the siding on the outside of the garage wall farthest from the living area of the two-story home.

Koller estimated the damage at $3,000 and said the three people living in the house would be able to stay there.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments