Stray cigarette deemed cause of Tilton restaurant fire

Stray cigarette deemed cause of Tilton restaurant fire

A Tilton fire official said a blaze that damaged a restaurant in that community on Thursday afternoon was started by a discarded cigarette.

Tilton Fire Department Chief Richard Austin said the blaze at Monicals at 1628 Georgetown Road began when someone threw a cigarette in the mulch in the landscaping area around the building.  Austin said the fire spread to the structure, and only heavy smoke was showing from the attic area when firefighters arrived on scene around 4:40 Thursday afternoon.  Austin said the building appears to be a total loss, but he didn't have a monetary damage estimate as of midday Friday.

Seven different fire crews asssisted Tilton in fighting the blaze.  Austin said others in the community chipped in to help at the scene as well.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

787 wrote on April 25, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Slob smokers and their discarded cigarettes...and the disasterous end result.

ROB McCOLLEY wrote on April 25, 2014 at 10:04 pm
Profile Picture

There are few things I despise more than seeing someone toss a cigarette.

 

It's espcially awful when they do it from a moving car, on the highway, and you see the red sparkler bouncing up under YOUR car.