8-year-old has 9 mm magazine at school

8-year-old has 9 mm magazine at school

CHAMPAIGN — Police are investigating an incident in which an 8-year-old had a loaded magazine for a 9mm handgun at Booker T. Washington School.

Police were called to the school, 606 E. Grove St., C, Friday after the magazine fell from the child’s coat pocket at recess.

No other children came in contact with the magazine, according to a news release issued Monday afternoon by Champaign police.

Police obtained a warrant for a home following the incident, and during their search, found ammunition and drug paraphernalia, according to the release.

Police spokeswoman Rene Dunn said Monday afternoon that there had been no arrests "at this time" and that the investigation is continuing.

Police urged parents to teach their children about gun safety. Parents should store guns and ammunition so they are inaccessible to children and others.  Children should be taught to avoid touching guns or ammunition and to leave the area and notify a trusted adult.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments

Jen R wrote on May 05, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Remind me again why we can't have safe-storage requirements for firearms?

787 wrote on May 05, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Because it would be impossible to enforce, and would only be of help after the fact?

If you're wanting to write laws that will force 'responsibility' onto irresponsible people, it won't work.  

emsed1 wrote on May 05, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Impossible to enforce?  I'm sure it's being enforced as we speak.  That family will have the gun storage violation enforced.

adams wrote on May 05, 2014 at 3:05 pm

Jen R, do you mean a safe storage law like 720 ILCS 5/24-9? We already do.

PS just to make sure it didn't get lost in the discussion... it wasn't a gun, it was a magazine.

Still horrific, but a completely different discussion.

We do.  It's a felony to have a loaded weapon available in a home with a child.  Thus the requirement for gun locks/trigger locks.

You will note, though, that it wasn't a FIREARM.  It was a magazine.

I'm not excusing this whatsoever but this is not a gun.  The family should be ashamed and prosecuted because it very well could have been a gun.

whatithink wrote on May 05, 2014 at 3:05 pm

What are the chances this kids parent even legally owned the gun and bullets the magazine belonged to oe even a FOID card to have the ammo?

They found drug paraphernalia and ammo in the home, but says nothing about a gun. 

trysomethingnew wrote on May 05, 2014 at 3:05 pm

This still isnt as bad a Julia Reitz's husband leaving a loaded police issued weapon on top of his car and driving off and no one did anything about it. 

Joe American wrote on May 05, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I just love the comment, "No other children came in contact with the magazine,".

WTF is that supposed to imply?  I'd expect to hear a statement like that if someone wandering around the playground tested positive for TB or if authoirites found a meth lab under the slide.  Only then would "no other children came in contact with (fill in the hazardous contaminant of your choice)" even be relevant.  What, the kids don't have the dreaded "magazine virus" because no one came in contact with it?  Thank heavens!

Bulldogmojo wrote on May 06, 2014 at 8:05 am

Joe American, What they are implying by "contact" is the possbility of one child bringing bullets while another brings the firearm so there was no one else involved in this menacing behavior. How do I know this you might ask? My wife works at the school district and she has taken more contraband off of little kids than a TSA agent, Bullets, knives, drugs, all sorts of stuff you just don't read about it in the NG. It is enforceable to the degree that when your own child leaves the house that you know what they have in their possession and if you are unaware that your own armaments are leaving your house next to your kids peanut butter sandwich then you should lose your FOID card and go to jail. 

It's your responsiblity to control the weapons and ammo you have been licensed to own, BY LAW!!

Joe American wrote on May 09, 2014 at 8:05 am

I get your whole spiel on firearms leaving the house, but for someone to "come in contact with" one object and "bringing a firearm to school" are two entirely unrelated issues. Someone, somewhere got their wires crossed.

Also, how is the act of bringing an item to school with no apparent intention of wrongdoing "menacing"? The act in itself is innocuous. How do you know the kid wasn't merely bringing it to show off? How do you know that the magazine wasn't placed in his bag by someone playing a cruel prank on him? Knee-jerk reactions aren't well suited for determining motive, you know. It can only be the intentions and actions of the accused which qualify as "menacing".  If you weakly allow yourself to be offended by innate object, then that's a personal issue which you must resolve with yourself. (I think they have counseling for that) And in case you haven't been paying attention, it doesn't take a corrupt mind with a magazine to create menacing behavior.

Bulldogmojo wrote on May 12, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Assuming you meant inanimate instead of "Innate" [sic] that you wrote, that ammo could have gotten pretty animated if they dropped those bullets on pavement.

There is never a scenario where it is acceptable to bring firearms or their components into a school. Cut and dried If you want to shoe horn in rationalizations that is your problem because the gun laws have already spoken on this. Since you don't work in a school, thankfully, you don't understand what is becoming a disurbing trend of weapons of all types being brought into schools.

There is no room in education for firearms show and tell.

Joe American wrote on May 15, 2014 at 9:05 am

Actually, dropping a cartridge won't fire it.  That's misinformation, being spread in this case by yourself, that helps perpetuate unreasonable fear of guns or other inanimate objects.

And I'm glad that you're all-knowing when it comes to where I and my family and close fiends do and do not work, especially with our involvement and knowledge of the school system. Kudos to you.

Good eye on the typo, too. 

STM wrote on May 07, 2014 at 3:05 pm

I'm sure "more ammo" is the answer.  Kinda dovetails with the inane "more guns" thing.

;-)