Fire causes $20,000 damage at Urbana apartment building

Fire causes $20,000 damage at Urbana apartment building

URBANA — Damage was estimated at $20,000 from a fire at an Urbana apartment building Monday evening.

Urbana Fire Marshal Phil Edwards said a resident of a first-floor apartment at 106 S. Gregory reported a fire on an exterior wall about 9 p.m.

The fire started in an air conditioning unit where workers earlier in the day had been doing repairs, including soldering copper.

Edwards said the unit was likely smoldering a while before the flames were noticed. Firefighters quickly put out the fire.

The occupants of the apartment were home when the fire started. They called for help and got out safely.

The fire damage was confined to that apartment but the residents of the apartment above also had to be temporarily relocated because of damage caused by firefighters making sure the flames had not spread upward.

The apartment building is managed by Campus Property Management, Edwards said.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments