Area history, May 25, 2014
Today is Sunday, May 25, 2014. News reports from this date 100, 50 and 15 years ago:
In 1914: Jim and Frank, two big, fine horses that have seen considerable duty at the Champaign Fire Department, were delivered today to an agent of the Indian Refining Co., which purchased them. Jim has been with the fire force for a little more than two years. Frank entered the service about 18 months ago. Both came from near Mattoon and were raised by the same man. Jim and Frank were put out of service when the Peerless firetruck was installed. The first few times the alarm sounded, they would paw at the gates of their stalls in an effort to respond, but soon they would continue undisturbed while the bells rang and the firemen dashed off in their horseless carriage.
In 1964: Between 25 and 30 University of Illinois students, whose identification cards were taken after about three hours of rock and bottle throwing and attempted panty raids, face possible dismissal from the university. No injuries were reported, but damage to autos, streetlights and private property was high.
In 1999: Urbana City Council members have signed off on a 15-year, $1.1 million plan to repair most of the brick sidewalks in the city.