Area history, May 31, 2014
Today is Saturday, May 31, 2014. Here are news reports from this date 100, 50 and 15 years ago:
In 1914: More than 275 wreaths were made this morning for the graves of the soldiers by the members of the women's relief corps at the Grand Army of the Republic Hall. Laurel, roses and peonies were used in the wreaths, the laurel having been sent here from Mississippi. The roses and peonies were donated by people of the city.
In 1964: After approximately 50 years at 114 W. Church St., Keck's Furniture Co. will move this week to its new location at the corner of University Avenue and Randolph Street. The company has outgrown its present location with a steady and constant growth since its beginning in 1900.
In 1999: A new Mahomet Aquifer Consortium has been formed to study and develop a management plan for the vast underground water source that supplies communities in 15 Illinois counties. It provides an estimated 84 million gallons of water a day. The consortium includes more than 70 members of water companies, local and state governments and members of the general public.