Gifford mobile home fire contained

Gifford mobile home fire contained

GIFFORD — Gifford firefighters kept a fire in a mobile home from spreading Thursday morning.

Firefighters were called to a home in the Camelot Estates mobile home park at 10:20 a.m.

“The fire was at the back door,” said Champaign County sheriff’s Sgt. Dave Coffey.

Coffey said resident Kayla Colunga had been cooking an egg earlier and apparently grease caught fire. She put the fire out with a towel, which she then threw in a waste basket.

Coffey said it appeared a portion of the burning towel got on the floor by the door, catching the door and part of the floor on fire. Firefighters contained the fire to that area. They also had to pull down a portion of the ceiling to make sure there was no hidden fire.

Coffey estimated damage at $1,500.

Rantoul and Ludlow firefighters were prepared to help but turned out not to be needed.
 

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments