Gifford mobile home fire contained
GIFFORD — Gifford firefighters kept a fire in a mobile home from spreading Thursday morning.
Firefighters were called to a home in the Camelot Estates mobile home park at 10:20 a.m.
“The fire was at the back door,” said Champaign County sheriff’s Sgt. Dave Coffey.
Coffey said resident Kayla Colunga had been cooking an egg earlier and apparently grease caught fire. She put the fire out with a towel, which she then threw in a waste basket.
Coffey said it appeared a portion of the burning towel got on the floor by the door, catching the door and part of the floor on fire. Firefighters contained the fire to that area. They also had to pull down a portion of the ceiling to make sure there was no hidden fire.
Coffey estimated damage at $1,500.
Rantoul and Ludlow firefighters were prepared to help but turned out not to be needed.