Fire heavily damages Villa Grove home

Fire heavily damages Villa Grove home

VILLA GROVE — Fire heavily damaged a home in the northeast corner of Villa Grove Friday afternoon.

Police Chief Dennis Gire said the fire at the single-family home at 611 N. Henson Road was reported about 2:50 p.m. Friday.

Several area fire departments turned out to assist Villa Grove firefighters, including Ogden, Royal, Longview-Broadlands, Pesotum, Newman, Camargo and Tuscola.

Gire said even he was pressed into service to drive a tanker truck because there weren’t enough volunteers available.

He estimated firefighters were at the house, which remains standing but was gutted, until about 8 p.m.

Gire said he spoke with Assistant Fire Chief Ross Elston who believed the fire may have been caused by an electrical problem. Elston could not be reached Saturday.

The residents were not home at the time, Gire said. He was not certain of their names.

He believed that a passerby saw the fire and called for help.

“There was a dog in a pen next to the home and the firemen got him out,” said Gire.
 

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments