Danville teen facing murder charges
DANVILLE — A Danville teen is facing murder charges in connection with the June 20 shooting of three people on the city’s east side now that one of the victims has died.
Cecil L. Mullins, 44, of Danville, died as a result of his injuries on July 14 at Carle Foundation Hospital, according to Vermilion County State’s Attorney Randy Brinegar.
Brinegar said his office will formally charge 17-year-old Malachi D. Hatcher with first-degree murder in connection with Mr. Mullins’ death.
Brinegar said Hatcher is eligible for a special penalty provision because a weapon was used in the commission of the crime. If convicted of murder, he said the teen could face 45 years to life in prison.
Hatcher currently faces three counts of aggravated battery involving a weapon, a Class X felony, in connection with the shooting that also injured a 46-year-old female and a 16-year-old male. He is being held at the Vermilion County Jail on a $1 million bond.
Hatcher waived his right to a preliminary hearing and pleaded not guilty to the aggravated battery charges on July 17. His jury trial was set for Aug. 25.
Danville Public Safety Director Larry Thomason said the other two victims’ injuries weren’t life threatening.
According to a report, police were called to the shooting in the first block of Kentucky Street around 12:30 a.m. When they arrived, all three victims, who had been outside on their porch prior to the shooting, appeared to have gunshot wounds.
The two male victims were rushed to the Urbana hospital, and the female was taken to Presence United Samaritans Medical Center, where she was treated and released.
Hatcher fled Danville, but was located and taken into custody by police on June 24 in Chicago, where he had previously lived.
Thomason said the investigation continues. However, police aren’t looking for any more suspects.