Murder added to Danville complaint

Murder added to Danville complaint

DANVILLE — A Danville teen will likely face murder charges in connection with the June 20 shooting of three people on the city's east side now that one of the victims has died.

Vermilion County Assistant State's Attorney Sandy Lawyles on Thursday moved to amend a criminal complaint against 17-year-old Malachi D. Hatcher to include three counts of first-degree murder. A hearing on the motion has not been set.

The charges would stem from the death of Cecil Mullins, 44, of Danville.

He died as a result of his injuries at 6:48 p.m. July 14 at Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana, according to Champaign County Coroner Duane Northrup.

An autopsy showed that Mr. Mullins died of a gunshot wound to the abdomen, according to Northrup.

Vermilion County State's Attorney Randy Brinegar said Hatcher would be eligible for a special-penalty provision because a weapon was used in the commission of the crime. If convicted of murder, the teen could face 45 years to life in prison.

Hatcher currently faces three counts of aggravated battery involving a weapon, a Class X felony, in connection with the shooting that also injured a 46-year-old female and a 16-year-old male. He is being held at the Vermilion County Jail on a $1 million bond.

Hatcher waived his right to a preliminary hearing and pleaded not guilty to the aggravated battery charges on July 17.

His jury trial was set for Aug. 25.

Danville Public Safety Director Larry Thomason said the other two victims' injuries weren't life-threatening.

According to a report, police were called to the shooting in the first block of Kentucky Street about 12:30 a.m. When they arrived, all three victims, who had been outside on their porch prior to the shooting, appeared to have gunshot wounds.

The two male victims were rushed to the Urbana hospital, and the female was taken to Presence United Samaritans Medical Center in Danville, where she was treated and released.

Hatcher fled Danville, but he was located and taken into custody by police on June 24 in Chicago, where he had previously lived.

Thomason said the investigation continues. However, police aren't looking for any more suspects.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

News-Gazette.com embraces discussion of both community and world issues. We welcome you to contribute your ideas, opinions and comments, but we ask that you avoid personal attacks, vulgarity and hate speech. We reserve the right to remove any comment at our discretion, and we will block repeat offenders' accounts. To post comments, you must first be a registered user, and your username will appear with any comment you post. Happy posting.

Login or register to post comments