A Loda fun: Festival this weekend
The Loda Good Ole Days celebration returns for its fifth straight year today through Sunday. Events are set at the Loda park and American Legion Hall and at a site on the west side of the village. Five things to know:
1. The combined American Legion/Lions Club fish/chicken fry begins at the Legion at 5 p.m. today. It ends when the food runs out.
2. Fun and games include a noon Saturday parade, with the lineup at the old grade school. There will be sand volleyball that afternoon at the park as well as a kiddie tractor pull, a bounce house, a car show and food vendors.
3. Bands will play on the stage behind the Legion and beer will be available at those times: Back Pages today from 8 to midnight and JMT on Saturday from 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday night action moves to the west side of the tracks when Flatville Road plays from 7 to 9:30 and Rock Star Rodeo from 10:30-1:30.
4. A show of patriotism and fireworks is planned as well. Vietnam vet, mayor and Legion member Ron Dudley said there will a veterans salute at 11 a.m. at the Legion. Veterans of specific operations in Grenada, Panama, Lebanon and the Gulf War will be honored. Fireworks funded solely through donations will go off Saturday night at dark.
5. Political and horsepower pull will both be featured. Patrick Doggett, field rep for Congressman Adam Kinzinger, will hold traveling office hours today from 4 to 5 p.m. at the village hall. On Sunday, truck and tractor pulls will begin at 12:30 p.m. on the west side, and at 6 the winners of the gun raffle will be announced.