Updated: Third suspect in Champaign murder captured in Arkansas

Updated: Third suspect in Champaign murder captured in Arkansas


CHAMPAIGN — A Champaign man wanted for a murder that happened in the northwest part of the city in June has been captured in Arkansas.

Champaign police Lt. Bob Rea said in a release Thursday that Micah Hopkins, 30, whose last known address was in the 1300 block of North Harris Street, was arrested without incident by the U.S. Marshals Service and Blytheville, Ark., police Wednesday afternoon at a home in Blytheville.

Two other people with Hopkins were detained for questioning by the Blytheville Police Department, Rea said.

Hopkins' arrest means all three men who police believe participated in the shooting death of Allen Redding, 26, on June 24, are now in custody. But police are still investigating and want people to come forward.

"Thanks to tips from the public and support from the law enforcement community, the department is making progress is this case. As we continue our investigation, we hope to build a solid case and provide closure to (Mr.) Redding's family. However, we still need the public's help," Rea said.

Mr. Redding was shot multiple times about 5:50 p.m. outside a home in the 1500 block of Hedge Road in Champaign. He died later at Carle Foundation Hospital.

As Hopkins was being nabbed in Blytheville, his co-defendants in the shooting case were in court to face additional charges of aggravated intimidation and harassment of a witness for allegedly threatening a witness to the fatal shooting.

Paul Craig, 39, and his brother, Devon Craig, 37, both of Champaign, while in the county jail last week, allegedly directed Markeeta McFarland, 38, of Urbana, to contact the witness to get her to change her story.

McFarland has also been charged with aggravated intimidation, harassment of a witness, and conspiracy to commit aggravated intimidation. The latter charges allege she actually went to the witness' home between July 23 and 26 to get her to change her story. McFarland was arrested Tuesday afternoon and arraigned Wednesday. She's being held on $750,000 bond and is due back in court Aug. 12.

Both Craigs are due back in court Aug. 8 for a probable cause hearing on the additional charges.

Devon Craig is charged with Mr. Redding's murder while Paul Craig is charged only with being an armed habitual criminal and unlawful use of weapons by a felon. It's alleged Paul Craig was there when the shooting occurred.

Devon Craig is being held on a total of $2.75 million bond. Paul Craig is now being held in lieu of $1.5 million bond.

Hopkins was charged the day after the shooting with aggravated discharge of a firearm and unlawful use of weapons by a felon. About two weeks later, police had developed enough information for him to be charged with nine counts of first-degree murder. His bond has been set at $1 million.

If convicted of the counts that alleges he personally discharged the gun that shot Mr. Redding, Hopkins could face natural life in prison.

It's not known when Hopkins will be returned to Urbana.

Police ask anyone with information to call their department at 217-351-4545 or callers can remain anonymous by calling Crimestoppers at 373-8477. Information can also be sent by anonymous web tip by going to: http://www.373tips.com or by texting keyword "CCTIP" plus the information to 274637 (CRIMES).

Sections (2):News, Local