Downtown Black Dog taking shape

Downtown Black Dog taking shape

On Tuesday, online editor Mike Howie took this photo of workers tending to the roof of Black Dog, a popular restaurant which is expanding from its current operation in Urbana.

Earlier, we asked co-owner Mike Cochran when it would open.

"I'm ballparking here, but we'd like to be open by the middle of February," Cochran said at the time.

Super Bowl? Valentine's Day? Presidents Day? Why then?

"We opened the first Black Dog on Feb. 18, 2009," Cochran said. "That's worked well for us. Let's do it again."

Opening a second Black Dog in downtown Champaign has its perks, Cochran said.

Parking (40-50 daytime spaces, more at night) is a plus. "Right outside our front door," Cochran said. "That's unique in downtown Champaign. That was a tipping point."

The nightlife doesn't hurt, either. Cochran said Black Dog II might stay open past 11 p.m. on weekends to accommodate the late-night downtown crowd.

Sections (3):News, Local, Business

Comments

Bulldogmojo wrote on August 13, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Ooh I hope they have the same 'take all day hipster service' as the one in Urbana

C_H wrote on August 13, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I assume you're visiting from some darker alternate timeline in which Black Dog doesn't have consistently good service with the only appreciable wait times being from the large number of customers that good restaurants commonly attract. It must be rough there.

SaintClarence27 wrote on August 15, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I had to click on "reply" to this because there is no "like" button. Too much Facebook, I suppose.

cgirl wrote on August 13, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Actually, Black Dog has some of the fastest service of the sit down restaurants in town, in my opinion. They usually get me in and out in 45 minutes or so which includes drinks, appetizers, and entrees. I'm usually impressed with the teamwork in the kitchen and behind the bar.

cgirl wrote on August 13, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Looking forward to it, counting the days.

kiel wrote on August 13, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Always had great service there -- fast and friendly.

Illinimac wrote on August 14, 2014 at 6:08 am

Even though there are often large numbers standing in line waiting for customers to finish their leisurely repasts, they are extremely attentive to seating people quickly once a table opens and very efficient serving you once you are seated.  I've been there at peak and non-peak hours and never had a problem with the service.  Perhaps you should consider the McRib for your barbecue dining pleasure.

Chambanacitizen wrote on August 15, 2014 at 9:08 am

Awesome food and service.  The big problem is they treat the bar as tables. I've never seen a bar that isn't first come, first serve.  But, that would only help with the long lines...there is still the problem of people taking a very long time to eat. I can't wait for downtown.