Heroin dealer a no-show for sentencing; gets years added on

Heroin dealer a no-show for sentencing; gets years added on

URBANA — A Champaign man who failed to show up for his sentencing for dealing heroin had a couple of extra years in prison tacked on.

Champaign County Judge Heidi Ladd on Thursday sentenced Emanuel Spencer-Jackson, 22, whose last known address was in the 1100 block of Waterview Way, to eight years in prison for possession with intent to deliver heroin.

In late June, Spencer-Jackson pleaded guilty to having between 1 and 15 grams of the drug intended for sale in a Champaign apartment on Dec. 20.

At the time of the plea, Assistant State’s Attorney Dan Clifton agreed to cap his recommendation for Spencer-Jackson at six years in prison but when Spencer-Jackson failed to show up Thursday, Clifton asked for the eight years. Spencer-Jackson could have received as many as 15 years.

To aggravate Spencer-Jackson’s sentence, Clifton had Champaign police officer Jeremiah Christian testify about a controlled buy that narcotics officers arranged to make from Spencer-Jackson two days before his December arrest.

Christian testified that police learned that Spencer-Jackson’s supplier had set him up in an apartment in the 1100 block of North Third Street in Champaign to sell heroin, even supplying him with five different cellphones, four of which were for taking orders.

Christian said police learned that Spencer-Jackson was selling between 40 and 60 bags of heroin, ranging in doses from one-tenth of a gram to one gram, daily from the apartment.

Based on the controlled buy police made Dec. 18 and other information they had collected, they obtained a search warrant for the apartment. On Dec. 20, Spencer-Jackson was arrested after he left the apartment. Police found about two-tenths of a gram of heroin and $895 on him. In the apartment they found another approximately 11 grams of heroin and digital scales.

Clifton said Spencer-Jackson admitted the drugs were his and that he was selling them.

Spencer-Jackson had one prior conviction for aggravated unlawful use of weapons from 2011. Court records show the probation he received for that was terminated unsuccessfully six months prior to his arrest.

Sections (2):News, Local