Area history, Aug. 16, 2014
Today is Saturday, Aug. 16, 2014. Here are news reports from this date 100, 50 and 15 years ago:
In 1914: A new Ford machine driven by Urbana farmer W.C. Welch today collided with a motorcycle ridden by photographer B.A. Strauch of Champaign on University Avenue near Market Street. Strauch was injured but apparently not seriously. As he felt to the pavement, he had one leg pinned under the heavy motorcycle. Welch stopped his car immediately and lifted the machine off the unfortunate man.
In 1964: Classes will open on time Sept. 9 at the new Champaign High School annex in west Champaign. The contractor, C.A. Petry and Sons, was successful in their race with time, bettering the Nov. 1 completion date by two months. Although assignments have not been announced, it is known that about 550 sophomores will be selected to attend the new school. The list will be compiled by IBM machines on the basis of academic schedules.
In 1999: Frolicking cherubs gathering grapes and making wine was apparently too old-fashioned to be in fashion in the 1960s. So those in charge of a remodeling of the Orpheum Theatre in downtown Champaign covered up the art. It was rediscovered Saturday by architectural archaeologists Perry Morris and Bruce Creamer.