UPDATE: No injuries from dryer fire at Champaign healthcare facility

UPDATE: No injuries from dryer fire at Champaign healthcare facility

CHAMPAIGN — No one was hurt when a dryer caught fire at a west Champaign nursing home Thursday night.

Champaign firefighters were called to Helia Healthcare of Champaign, 1915 S. Mattis Ave.,  Champaign,  at 8:43 p.m. Thursday. An automatic alarm had sounded.

Champaign Fire Marshal John Koller said  fire was found in a dryer and quickly put out.  The building's sprinkler sysem activated as well. 

Residents were able to stay in the building, he said.


The fire department gave the all clear for the building at 9:30 p.m.

A large amount of firefighting equipment blocked one of the southbound lanes of Mattis Avenue while firefighters put out the fire.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation and a dollar loss was still to be determined, Koller said. 

Sections (2):News, Local
-