Papa Del's to turn off oven Tuesday

Papa Del's to turn off oven Tuesday

CHAMPAIGN — For almost a month, Champaign will be without Papa Del’s Pizza.

The pizzeria’s Village at the Crossing location will stop cooking Tuesday, four weeks before the opening of the Neil Street location during the week of March 1, general manager Andrea Seten told The News-Gazette on Wednesday.

The oven at the Village at the Crossing location will have to be sent to Chicago to be cleaned before returning it to what wlll be the 500-seat Papa Del’s Pizza Factory. On Monday, Papa Del's owner Bob Monti told The News-Gazette that renovating the Neil Street location — which he had hoped to open in November 2015 — has been "a long process."

Frozen pizzas will still be available at the crossing location until a week or so before the Neil Street opening. Then, there will be no Papa Del’s until the week of March 1.

Seten said she isn’t worried about supplies lasting because the staff can stay open to produce the frozen pizzas.

Still, she said she expects a rush until Tuesday.

“I’m sure people will be getting their last hurrah before they have wait until March,” Seten said.

Sections (3):News, Local, Business

Comment viewing options

Mike wrote on January 27, 2016 at 8:01 pm

The two most over-rated food places in Champaign-Urbana:

Papa Del's, with unfriendly staff and a jerk of an owner.

Black Dog, the most unfriendy (and hugey overrated) place on the planet.

Good pizza? Go to Chicago. Good barbecue? Go to Kansas City.

JRR wrote on January 27, 2016 at 11:01 pm

I can't imagine why a person who claims to dislike Papa Del's as Mike does would waste his time to visit a page about Papa Del's ... I think I smell an Internet troll.

I'll grant that the service at Papa Del's isn't consistently stellar, though it's never been unfriendly for me -- I attribute the spotty service mostly to the waitstaff being typically made up of college students putting themselves through school vs. those who intend to make a career in the restaurant business. However pleasant it is to have good service, what really matters to me is the food.

And to call Black Dog "the most unfriendly place on the planet"? I have to wonder what planet Mike inhabits; I find the servers and bartenders at both Black Dog locations among the friendliest and most interesting to talk with.

I can't help but wonder if Mike is a malcontent and a jerk himeself.

shurstrike wrote on January 28, 2016 at 12:01 am

Sorry bruh, but I too have been saying that for years.  It's the most over-rated pizza I've ever had, and I've had a lot.  And yes, it's the food.

Don't take it personally - I understand that not everyone can be a pizza connoisseur.

alabaster jones 71 wrote on January 28, 2016 at 1:01 am

P-Del's is a quality example of the nostalgia factor.

That is, people overrate the quality of the product due to fond memories that are associated with it.

It's an institution, which is an invaluable asset in the restaurant world.   A pizza place that is five times better could open up shop in C-U, but it would take years and years for it to overtake P-Del's and Jupiter's and the like, if ever.

It's the same reason nobody drinks RC Cola, even though you probably couldn't distinguish it from Coke or Pepsi if you were to perform a blind taste test.

shurstrike wrote on January 28, 2016 at 10:01 am

I concur.

Mike wrote on January 27, 2016 at 8:01 pm

The two most over-rated food places in Champaign-Urbana:

Papa Del's, with unfriendly staff and a jerk of an owner.

Black Dog, the most unfriendy (and hugey overrated) place on the planet.

Good pizza? Go to Chicago. Good barbecue? Go to Kansas City.

alabaster jones 71 wrote on January 28, 2016 at 1:01 am

Yeah, Monti is a jerk, but that's his prerogative.

I personally don't give a damn about friendly service at restaurants, though.   If the food's good, so am I.  If I want service with a smile, I'll eat dinner at mom's house.

Illiniwek222 wrote on January 29, 2016 at 9:01 am

The absolute best was Willy's Thick and Cheesy.

IlliniwekMerica wrote on January 29, 2016 at 9:01 am

Food snobs are hard to take. Worse than beer snobs, probably just above movie snobs.

Papa Del's is good pizza. I haven't lived in this community all my life, but I've never had a bad meal there. I've had many of the famous Chicago pizzas too, Papa Dels is right up there with any deep dish. People like it, making it a profitable business, which is all that matters. But those people are probably just small town ECI simpletons who've never even eaten at an over-priced, Michigan Avenue bistro.

Illini '73 wrote on January 29, 2016 at 9:01 am

Mom, where are we going for pizza tonight?  Papa Del's or someplace in Chicago?

What kind of choice is that?  Maybe there are better places in Chicago or New York for pizza, but does that mean we should do without pizza until we go to Chicago or New York?

Not a good agument.