UPDATE: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers coming to State Farm Center

UPDATE: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers coming to State Farm Center

CHAMPAIGN — The waiting was the hardest part, but now we know: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers will perform at State Farm Center on May 10.

The classic-rock star announced his band's 40th-anniversary tour Thursday night on Jimmy Fallon’s "Tonight Show." Tickets go on sale starting at 10 a.m. Dec. 16 at statefarmcenter.com, 866-ILLINI-1 or the State Farm Center box office.

The arena teased the show Thursday afternoon with a tweet, saying “Don’t miss Jimmy Fallon TONIGHT for an exciting announcement! Watch for our SFC ad to learn about some awesome news for 2017!!!”

At the time, Brad Swanson, the arena's assistant director for marketing, would only tell The News-Gazette the genre and that it’s a “big name.”

“It’ll be a good one,” he added.

Along with the announcement, State Farm Center ran an ad during the show promoting the band’s stop in Champaign.

Comment viewing options

787 wrote on December 09, 2016 at 10:12 am

who....cares.....

He's what... close to 70?  And the SFC acts like this is THE biggest thing to happen in this town in years...  Sorry.

annabellissimo wrote on December 09, 2016 at 10:12 pm

I know all readers are really glad that you took the time out of your busy schedule to post this important comment. We were all wondering what "787" would say and here it is and it's brilliant, insightful and shows such appreciation for talent and music as well as a finely tuned aesthetic sensibility. Until you told us, no one knew that musical talent was related to age. You neglected to tell us what is the age of cut-off for talent and appeal. Also, I think you should be sure to let the Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen fans know because those sad uninformed people keep buying tickets and filling arenas to see/hear those "close to 70" poor excuses for rock & rollers. And I never see anybody dancing and singing to the music of Tom Petty, the Rolling Stones or Springsteen. If the powers that be see your post, maybe they will hire you to book shows for the State Farm Center and you can be sure that they are all young because that means talent.

Tom Napier wrote on December 15, 2016 at 7:12 pm

You must learn to respect your elders, Mr./Ms. 787.  Now, be kind.

Tom Petty turned 66 this October.  You too are likely reach this age, and well beyond.  You should aspire to be as energetic and enduring in talent as he is when you're ... um ... close to 70.

Two summers ago I experienced the three Grateful Dead Fare Thee Well concerts in Chicago.  The Boys aren't spring chickens either.  But, over 210,000 managed to patch their bones at Soldier Field, 150,000 at the two Levi Stadium concerts in Santa Clara, and more than 400,000 watched on pay-for-view.  That's a biscuit more than three-quarter-million people watching old geezers kick ... posterior.   "Who Cares?" you ask.  The world isn't confined to kids and hipsters.  Were you there, you'd have been shocked to see the numbers of teenagers, tweens, gen x-ers and millenials, gray-beards, arrow-straight folks, heads; lots of tye-die, but also lots of country club polo shirts.  These people care too, even though their taste in music is decades richer than yours appears to be.

I look forward to seeing Dead and Company in Wrigley Field this summer.  Get your tickets right now; they're almost sold out!

I think I'll get Tom Petty tickets too.  I advise you go, otherwise you can't appreciate what you're ... not caring about.

Schmohawk wrote on December 09, 2016 at 7:12 am

You seem pleasant

welive wrote on December 09, 2016 at 11:12 am

What a true rock icon.Thanks fr the news i will be there

GeneralLeePeeved wrote on December 09, 2016 at 4:12 pm

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the last time TP came to town was in February 1983.  I remember going to that concert.....good show.  However, I would like to know why I've aged 33 years since then and Tom hasn't?

annabellissimo wrote on December 09, 2016 at 10:12 pm

A fabulous rock and roll band is coming to town! That's great news. Love Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers!