Sadorus woman faces drug charges

Sadorus woman faces drug charges

CHAMPAIGN — A Sadorus woman who was stopped by police on suspicion of shoplifting was instead arrested on drug charges.

Alexis Rae Franzen, 19, who listed an address in the 200 block of East Church Street, was charged Monday with possession of a controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. Her bond was set at $1,500.

Franzen is due back in court April 11.

According to a police report, Franzen was stopped by police at 1:25 a.m. Sunday at the County Market at 331 E. Stoughton St., C, for suspected shoplifting.

While police found no evidence of anything taken, they did find suspected drugs and drug paraphernalia inside her purse.

Franzen was arrested and taken to jail.

In an unrelated case, Franzen was charged Feb. 28 with possession of a controlled substance and misdemeanor retail theft of merchandise less then $300 in connection with a Feb. 27 incident.

A police report said Franzen allegedly stole household wares, food, other merchandise and an auto part from the Champaign Wal-Mart. Police said when they found her, she was allegedly in possession of a controlled substance.

The bond in that case was set at $5,000.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comment viewing options

rockwinkle wrote on March 06, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Tyrell: The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long, and you have burned so very very brightly Roy.

Homeboy wrote on March 06, 2017 at 9:03 pm

Looks like somebody needs an intervention.

annabellissimo wrote on March 06, 2017 at 10:03 pm

Just 19 years old and the photo shows an image of a very disordered person with a history already of someone who has lost her way. What is the story of someone so young and so lost and what can she do to save herself. That is a very shocking picture and makes me feel very sad for that young, lost person. I hope she can make it out of whatever bad place she got into and make a different path in life.

Dread Pirate DNT wrote on March 07, 2017 at 10:03 am

It's very interesting to see how much compassion you show for a young white person who has lost their way vs. the cold, lock em up and throw away the key mentality you have shared with us when a young black person loses their way.

annabellissimo wrote on March 07, 2017 at 12:03 pm

I think you have me confused with someone else, perhaps someone you have fabricated in your own head to serve your own agenda of stirring up dissent and trouble where there should be none. I have no need to explain my reaction to any news report to you, nor do I need to defend any reaction; I know my own heart and I know that my compassion - and efforts in life - have been for any person, young or old, who "loses their way." I will say that I generally have little sympathy or compassion for someone who has voluntarily gotten themselves into drug use that is well known to lead to addiction. It's not as if heroin or methamphetamine, for just two examples, are not well known to be highly addictive, dangerous, destructive. This is not news. So when someone voluntarily chooses to use that stuff, even in the face of that information, it's hard to feel compassion or sympathy for them. In the case of this 19 year old pictured, it is the image of someone so young and, as pictured, very divorced from whatever hope or potential she might have had. To your smug bitterness and anger, I will say that there was a news report last month about a young black man who had been a University of Illinois football player - I think he was 19 also - but because of injury he was no longer able to play and not on the team; whether he was still a student or not, the article didn't say. He had been arrested for a crime (or crimes, I don't remember). There was no picture of him, no mug shot. I felt sad at the possibility that he had been taught - and maybe been treated this way as well - that football was who he was and without it he had no more viable identity, no route that he saw that was other than being a football player. I am delighted and happy to see the recent article about Jalen Coleman-Lands and his business venture, something in addition to his basketball ability and something associated with his abilities as a student. Productive paths/destructive paths/youth/decisions and choices/lost souls - these ARE things that affect me when I read about them. I feel sad for you that you don't feel anything when you see the picture of this 19 year old beyond the opportunity to judge what you imagine and fabricate to be the state of anybody else's heart and mind. Your post is ugly, both towards me and towards anybody whom you do not know by the way, and towards any person pictured here in mug shot whom you only see as a "color." My "throw away the key" mentality as you put it, is primarily reserved for those who prey upon vulnerable humans and most usually upon children. Yep, I don't even think there should be a key because I think there should be an island where anybody who hurts a child goes and, yes, forever. Violence towards others, vicious expression of cruelty towards others - yeah, I admit that I don't feel compassion, sympathy or any way to identify as a human being with that behavior; it seems to have separated itself from its humanity, regardless of the color of the skin that embodies that kind of mentality. That island to house the most destructive towards others? Yes, to serve your rigid and ugly agenda, that would be black and white and to further serve your agenda: no compassion for such predators.

If you are James Kilgore, no, I have no compassion for you and I despise the University decision that got a coward and a murderer, a thief and a liar, a fraud and a killer hired. If you are Steven Salaita, no, I have no compassion for you; you got lots of University money in spite of your vile language inciting hatred for Jews.

Go peddle your bilge elsewhere. You don't know me nor do you know 99.99% of anything I have any opinion about, and I don't want to know you. And yeah, I hope this 19 year old girl, who as you so eagerly emphasize is white, finds her way in life. I'm giving you the benefit of some doubt that you aren't merely a provocateur trying to drum up some fights here and as seems to be the case most of the time, about race. Go argue with yourself - or maybe try to help a lost soul, if you can find a skin color that meets your requirements.

Dread Pirate DNT wrote on March 07, 2017 at 1:03 pm

If you cared about this girl you'd do something about it. You'd educate yourself on addiction and the bogus war on drugs and you'd actually do something.

But you don't. You just want to stand on your pedestal and tell everyone on the internet how good of a person you are despite your glaring prejudice and unwillingness to understand real people that don't fit the same mold as you in your tiny little white's only bubble.

cjw61822@hotmail.com wrote on March 07, 2017 at 3:03 pm

you mean the war on drugs that includes heroin?  Yet folks complain that the police do not do enough to stop this epidemic.  Tell me, how do YOU want to combat heroin?

Dread Pirate DNT wrote on March 07, 2017 at 5:03 pm

You also seem like a good candidate for some simple education. I am not one of those folks that complain the police do not do enough. They do way too much. The police are not properly trained to deal with drug addicts and their job is to enforce the terrible laws. Heroin is a terrible problem in our country and locking people up is not working. Prohibition never works. The peddlers of the war on drugs, mainly republicans, are largely responsible for the major heroin and meth epidemics in America. With progressive drug laws and government sponsored programs to help addicts, the cartels never would have had a market to profit off of. Also, your buddy Trump's crony pals in the Big Pharma industry have been pushing opioids down our nation’s throat for 30 years getting people hooked on the drug, forcing them to the streets when their doctor won't support their habit anymore.

While it is extremely easy to google very reliable information regarding these issues, I will give you some help to get started. We have all surrendered our liberties to the government and you morons continue to throw your freedom in the garbage every time you vote for an idiot like Trump who brings in more idiots like Sessions who double down on their fool's errand. Here are a few links to help you understand why the war on drugs is not only a massive failure but also an evil machine used to line the pockets of the very wealthy, including the politicians who help make the laws.

Drug use has steadily declined since Portugal decriminalized all drugs and put their focus on education and health. We

I hope this answers your question big guy!

Local Yocal wrote on March 08, 2017 at 5:03 am

I would add one more link to educating ourselves about the Drug War:
www.leap.cc

Dread Pirate DNT wrote on March 08, 2017 at 7:03 am

Thank you.

annabellissimo wrote on March 07, 2017 at 11:03 pm

Man, you are one mean and angry, belligerent and nasty individual. I suspect you are just an ordinary troll, wanting to stir up trouble, but whether you are a troll or a legitimate commenter here, you are one mean, angry, belligerent, bullying know-it-all. You did hit a nerve with me because I detest liars, but it's clear you are beyond civil, sane discourse; you are too busy being self-satisfied, self-righteous and smug. This is the last reply to you because there's no point in talking to either a troll or a bully or a liar. The world seems to be increasingly full of the likes of you and we're no better for it. You've revealed the kind of person you are and like most normal people, I prefer to avoid your sort. Life is too short to spend time, breath or energy on mean trouble-makers. You must be very miserable, whether troll or just ordinary liar. People who might contribute to making the world a better place but choose to cause chaos and trouble are a big part of the problems we all suffer from. Maybe you're in jail or prison and have nothing better to do with your time, or maybe you have been in prison - like Kilgore - and get your kicks out of "beating up" on others who you don't even know, but I'm not like that and I don't want you to infect any more of my time. Whatever bad stuff happened to you in life to make you the way you are you might want to think about changing and try spreading a little sunshine around rather than the material you spew.

Dread Pirate DNT wrote on March 08, 2017 at 8:03 am

I thought your last reply was your last reply?

I went back and re-read all of my comments to search for the mean, angry, belligerent, bullying know-it-all persona that you have projected onto me, fully prepared to issue an apology where an apology was due. I hit a snag, in that I couldn't find any of that.

You've had some really great posts in the past that were honest and contained good substance, i.e. sanitation in hospitals and women's issues; however it's puzzling that your compassion only goes as far as the people who are like you and you associate with.

I personally couldn't find any cases of me bullying, but here is a link where you are bullying someone for saying they weren't interested in watching an aging former rock star play in a local arena with bad sound:

What lies have I told? If I had been to prison, would that make me less of a human than you? Why do you keep accusing me of being different people? Kilgore, Salita, Aaron Ammons....which one is it?

Khristine wrote on March 07, 2017 at 3:03 am

Ya' know, I read a lot of the comments on these stories and I find it quite sad that I am able to recognize whether a person is white or black by how their arrest is thought of and spoken about. For this young white woman it is sad and lamenting on what a waste of, no doubt, a precious life. However, if this were the case of a young black woman the discussion would be how many years can we lock the waste of space up for and pissing and moaning about Champaign County's inefficient State's Attorney who plea bargains criminals down and lets them off too easy.

Dread Pirate DNT wrote on March 07, 2017 at 10:03 am

You'll notice it's the same group of people that are repeat offenders when it comes to discrepancies in compassion depending on race. Annabelle, Skepticity, Senseless, the various dopey pro-chief handles and a few others who also like to speak on things they don't know about. This group will be the first and most frequent to comment negatively on a story involving someone who doesn't look like them or share their narrow minded worldview.

annabellissimo wrote on March 07, 2017 at 12:03 pm

Well done, provocateur: you even named names, although you got some wrong. You accuse those you named as liking to "speak on things they don't know about....comment negatively on ...someone who doesn't look like them.....their narrow minded worldview." To that: speaking on behalf of that list you provided of those who have a narrow minded worldview and speak on things we don't know about, we offer our gratitude that you are here with your open mind, good heart and spirit of good will and highly developed intellect; we offer our gratitude that you are here to correct us when we speak on all the things we don't know about. We are surprised that you know when we comment negatively about someone who doesn't look like us because that implies that you know what we look like - otherwise how would you know when we are commenting negatively about someone who doesn't look like us. We are also grateful that you are keeping an archive of all of our posts and comments to the News Gazette so that you can accurately categorize and "understand" those of us you have listed. Sarcasm ending now to say, seriously, you have some genuine problems with a smug closed mind, but you seem quite comfortable with it and your conversations with yourself must be very satisfying to you. I don't find conversations with you that interesting so this will be my last one. Enjoy yourself, provocateur, as you imagine your views to be some kind of gospel for the unenlightened heathens.

Dread Pirate DNT wrote on March 07, 2017 at 7:03 pm

I know you aren't a minority because you've made a habit out of commenting on stories involving minorities and sharing your nationalist/prejudiced opinions against them.

You obviously don't read any of my posts. I don't try to enlighten anyone, share my worldview (unless asked), preach values or attempt to sway anyones opinion. I mainly call people out for being hypocrites, bigots, liars, racists and the like (you've seen the list of most of the people who comment here that fit this mold).

You say I have 'genuine problems', I say I'm just keeping it real. The fact that you launched a fiery defense nearly two pages long trying to spin your prejudice into something it isn't clearly shows that I struck a nerve with you, which hopefully makes you think twice before you judge people based on their skin color again.

Bra adamant wrote on March 08, 2017 at 4:03 pm

So you admit to being racist. Well, I guess if you're going to do it, own it

burl55 wrote on March 07, 2017 at 4:03 am

So she is out on bond from a February 28th shoplifting and possessing illegal drugs charge. Yet she gets bond for breaking the law while she is out on bond? How is that possible? I was always told that's a no no. Strike one was a $5,000 bond yet strike two is only a $500 bond? No, there ain't no pattern here!  Or is that how the people who kill people in DUI's walk away? Call Reitzs office young lady, and get the name of the "right" lawyer and you got this beat!

bdub72 wrote on March 07, 2017 at 11:03 am

I agree that the bond seemed low considering her recent arrest with a higher bond. Doesn't make sense. She was already on probation for another incident before any of this happened. She was also caught shoplifting at the Urbana Walmart this past fall. I found the Urbana police blotter. I wonder if her dope dealer bonded her out. I would think family would feel safer with her detoxing in jail and hoping to get her in treatment. Whoever did bond her out was not looking out for her best interest. She should still be in jail in my opinion.

Yes this is very sad to see someone in this situation. There are most likely a lot of factors that contributed to her life getting to this point. At some point though she made bad choices. She chose to hang with the wrong type of people and to start using. She can only be helped if she is ready to accept it. The decision has to be soley hers and the conviction must be strong.

She will most likely be offered drug court. I wonder what kind of success rate they are having with that program.

Objective Reporter wrote on March 07, 2017 at 10:03 am

Dread and Khristine are absolutely correct.  "Our" reactions are embarrassing and shameful.

ForReal wrote on March 07, 2017 at 1:03 pm

It's amazing to me how many posters on the N-G website want to bring race into absolutely EVERYTHING they see on the site. When a story with a black person's mugshot is shown, you get posters blasting the N-G for publishing crimes committed by blacks and you wonder where the white mugshots are.

Now, here you have a white mugshot, and that isn't good enough either. Instead, it's more of the same - trying to insert race into a story where race isn't the issue.

This woman is clearly lost, and she garners more sympathy from me than someone (black or white) who pulls a gun on someone and ends up in the news.

Objective Reporter wrote on March 07, 2017 at 1:03 pm

I stand by my initial comment.

Dread Pirate DNT wrote on March 07, 2017 at 1:03 pm

I didn't bring race into it, the people who cheer for blacks to suffer but sympathize with whites for the same crimes are the ones who brought it in. We are merely sharing our observation.

bdub72 wrote on March 08, 2017 at 7:03 am

I'm sorry but you did bring race into this. No ones comments had anything to do with race, whether sypathetic, or questioning why she was ever let out of jail. Nothing racist was stated other than your comment that was painting with a broad brush. This conversation should be about substance abuse and the heroin epidemic. About our troubled youth perhaps or why we are letting offenders back on the street so easily. Offenders that are willing to steal on a regular basis and are in need of treatment regardless of their race. Take the convo where you may but this was not a racial incident.

Dread Pirate DNT wrote on March 08, 2017 at 8:03 am

If you read the comment section on this website regularly you would notice the difference between how these folks react to white crime vs. black crime.

Also, are you saying we should lock our 'troubled youth' up or put them in treatment? Can't be both.

Pointblank wrote on March 08, 2017 at 9:03 am

There shouldn't be a prosecution for a drug possession or drug sale, but in that Champaign County has yet to give up its wicked ways prosecuting the drug war, there is the very, very small number of drug court graduates, and Sheridan Prison, allegedly an intensive drug program there. The criminal justice system tries to do both, prosecute and punish while at the same time sell the public it is treating addiction.

ohnoes wrote on March 08, 2017 at 9:03 am

Gee, all this serious conversation!  I just wanted to say what a great Harley Quinn she would have been with Heath Ledger's Joker!

bdub72 wrote on March 08, 2017 at 11:03 am

How to handle drug addiction does not come with an easy solution. I certainly do not claim to have all the answers. It is hard to get a serious addict into treatment and then relapse is common. This woman also has a child that someone else is raising. You would think that would be motivation enough for treatment but surprisingly that situation is not uncommon. And so the cycle continues...

JohnQPublic1 wrote on March 12, 2017 at 12:03 pm

You people are amazing on what you think is newsworthy or comment worthy.

4 police officers were nearly murdered when shot at by an armed robber who had just robbed a gas station while currently on parole.   He shouldn't have even been out to commit armed robbery.

The trial was this week.  Took 4 days.  Offender found guilty on Thursday.

Yet you comment on a booking photo as your priority.  These hero cops surrounded an armed robber and put their lives on the line for this community.  Yet what is news worthy and comment worthy of your time is this crap?

Police Chiefs attend a handgun/community meetings (and have been) where felons are working with the police to stop violence/shootings.   1 comment

Jay cutler gets cut cut from the Bears -200 comments on a news gazette Facebook

Gander Mountain closes-100 comments.

Taco Johns or any fast food joint comes to the area -100's of comments.

Jail in Illinois gets sued because they only provide one color of underwear to female inmates-50 comments

You people make me sick on what is news to you.

bdub72 wrote on March 13, 2017 at 9:03 am

I agree that priorities seem a little off when it comes to comments. I do not disagree that the issues you mentioned are very important. I am completely with you on that. Sometimes the frivolous stories get more attention than they should. Yet for some reason you read this story and felt a need to comment just like the rest of us. I think the booking photo just grabbed everyone's attention, and that was a big part of the purpose for publishing it.

The heroin problem in this country is very serious along with other drugs such as meth and crack. It ruines lives and tears apart families. It should be taken seriously and is a complicated issue worhty of discussion. When you flollow the problem upward you will also find a lot of gun packing drug dealers that often commit more violent crimes.