Davis: 'Run, he's got a gun'

Davis: 'Run, he's got a gun'

Republican U.S. Rep. Rodney Davis of Taylorville spoke on CNN about the rifle shooting of House Republican Steve Scalise of Louisiana on Wednesday at a congressional baseball practice just outside of Washington. Davis was at bat when it happened, and he was shown with blood on his hand and elbow while still in cleats and his uniform.

Among his comments:

— I was batting. We heard a loud noise, felt like construction site, somebody dropped a big piece of metal. The next thing I remember was somebody on the field yelling "Run, he's got a gun."

— I ran into the dugout like most people on the field (first-base side) and eventually worked my way out of the dugout to other cover and (we) dispersed.

— I got to witness the heroism of the Capitol police that were there that was part of Steve Scalise's detail. If they wouldn't have been there, this would have been a massacre of innocent people.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to my good friend Steve Scalise and also the staffers and former staffers who were shot, too, and the Capitol police who were shot.

— I wasn't there long because by the time I got there from home plate, I was on top of a couple people and didn't think that was the best place to be with an open dugout. I immediately tried to get out of there. A lot of us went out behind the dugout and took cover behind a building.

— Eventually when it seemed like there was a break in activity, I and others, we dispersed up into the street and across the street to take cover behind cars. Then when somebody yelled the gunman was coming around the corner, we took off down the street and a good Samaritan let us into his apartment so that we could call 9-1-1 and also call my family.

— This hatefulness that we see in this country today over policy differences has got to stop.

— I believe that there's such a hatefulness in what we see in American politics and policy discussions right now on social media and the 24-hour news cycle that this has got to stop. We can disagree on how to govern; that's what makes our country great. But I'm here because we're all Americans. I think Republicans and Democrats need to use this day today to stand together and say 'Stop, let's work together, let's get things done.' We can have our differences, but let's not let it lead to such hate.

— I'm angry. I got back to my office after staying out there for what I thought was way too long but necessary because it was a crime scene — I've never been in one before — I took the chance to come down here because I want to talk to people about what I witnessed and about the effect it should have as we move forward as a country. That's why I'm still here bloodied, in my uniform still and I've had a chance to go clean up but it's that important that the message gets out that hatefulnesss, this political rhetoric hate — this could be the first political, rhetorical terrorist act and that has to stop.

— This is an event where we raised over $600,000 for local D.C. charities. Republicans and Democrats, in a bipartisan way, come together to play a game. We have kids in our dugouts. We have staffers and former staffers that practice with us. These aren't just members of Congress. You would think when you turn on the 24-hour news cycle that no Republican like me ever talks to a Democrat. That's just not true. I catch in the game and you can ask every single Democrat; I jaw with them, we have fun, it is a great opportunity. I never thought I would play a baseball game for charity, go to practice at 6:30 in the morning and have to dodge bullets.

— It has to change. This has to be the breaking point. I was asked a question earlier 'Is this America's breaking point when it comes to the political rhetoric that has become so hateful?' It's my breaking point... We've got to end this, we've got to stop it because I watched my friend and fellow member Steve Scalise lay motionless on the field wondering if he was going to be OK. That is a picture I will never forget.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comments

CallSaul wrote on June 14, 2017 at 2:06 pm

We're lucky none of the victims died. The cops, who rigorously train for this sort of thing on a regular basis, no doubt saved lives today.

If today's an average day in America, ~93 will be killed by gun violence. Many more will be injured.

Do we really need to make guns, especially semi autos, available so easily?

Annotator wrote on June 14, 2017 at 2:06 pm

"Do we really need to make guns, especially semi autos, available so easily?"

Have you ever gone through a background check to purchase a firearm?  It's not easy.

"It's reported that Hodgkinson has a hisoty of being a violent thug before this attack. Do we really need to make guns so available to people with such violent records?"

How would you know that he is a violent thug?  The FBI doesn't hasn't reported this, and no other law enforcement agency has reported this.  The only information released about him, from unnamed press sources, is that he was a volunteer in Belleville on the Bernie Sanders campaign in 2016.

CallSaul wrote on June 14, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Obviously, passing any background checks was easy enough for him to be quite well armed.

How would I know about his history of violence? I don't know for sure. But, as I wrote, it's being reported --- in multiple outlets --- that he has a history of violence and interactions with the cops.

APC wrote on June 14, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Strong words for both sides, each of which has their own share of nutsos, and each of which has their own share of blame for this increased violence.  It is saddening to see the lack of empathy expressed by certain segments of the population in response to yet another mass shooting (the response to Gabrielle Gifford's statement, for example).

Discourse is fine.  Purely hateful rhetoric and namecalling (e.g., Trumptards, DemoRats, "they are anti-American", "random quote about using my gun on you...") is useless and and adds nothing to an argument nor endears you to anyone.

Talk about gun rights/restrictions, health care as a right/priviledge, etc... but do so without rancor - there is enough in the world.

I am not a particular fan of Rodney, but this is something that we, as humans, should all be able to agree on, without pointing fingers at who is to blame or who is worse.

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 14, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Well well well...The GOP's chickens have come home to roost

President Trump signed a measure into law Tuesday that rescinds an Obama-era rule aimed at blocking gun sales to certain mentally ill people. The GOP-majority Senate passed the bill by a 57-43 margin earlier this month, following a House vote to overturn the rule. 2-28-17

Not to mention recent laws have allowed people with domestic abuse histories to keep their guns

But hey gang buy some more guns because that will keep us safer. Ugh morons

BruckJr wrote on June 14, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Let's see a show of hands of those who were surpised to learn that this was one of Bernie's nuts.

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 14, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Actually it's so often a racist, christian, turner diaries, waving loon, by any measure that it came as a complete shock. I thought you Conservative paranoids were all waiting for the first shot to be fired in the fight against tyranny? Not joining in for the revolution you've been arming yourselves for you brave weekend warriors who can't fight high cholesterol but think they can save us from tyranny?

I'll give you $100 if you can do the stairmaster for 10 minutes.

The truth is you have a tyrannical government who is advancing all your causes of hate and fear. You finally have a tyrannical government you can live with.

Don't forget to talk about us liberals at your next Sunday Jesus/NRA meeting you peaceful carpenter you

BruckJr wrote on June 14, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Speaking of carpenters did you notice that Hodgkinson was a member of Carpenters Regional Council?

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 14, 2017 at 7:06 pm

What does that have to do with anything?

BruckJr wrote on June 14, 2017 at 7:06 pm

If he couldn't get his fill of Republican hate at Bernie rallies he could swing by the union hall.

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

So he made a livable wage? that's your beef?

I know a lot of men and women in the trades, they're not all that liberal.

Maybe they're looking for you back at the foodtruck.

You seem smart. Buy yet another gun

BruckJr wrote on June 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Liberal or not they are required to pay dues that fund the Democratic hate machine.  In Illinois and 23 other states even those who stand against the unions are required to pay their 'fair share' in support of these anarchist haters.

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 15, 2017 at 2:06 pm

Unions typically vote democratic because the Conservative party yes the party of Lincoln decided to turn into the dixiecrats a few decades ago and have no interest in ANYONE making a livable wage especially people of color. The people who you say are "forced to pay" fare share are also forced to take the same level of raises and benefits the full dues paying members get. I don't see any of them returning those raises and benefits.

If fare share people don't like the livable wage and benefits the union negotiates for them they can go work in the minimum wage food truck with you, they're free to go. Plenty of low paying jobs out there for the asking. I'll help them pack.

BruckJr wrote on June 15, 2017 at 5:06 pm

And therein lies the problem.  Those who are willing to put in the work and add value to their employers are forced to take the same level of pay and benefits as the union laggards.  And on the food truck we spell it 'fair' share.  Must be different for you boys down at the union hall.

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 15, 2017 at 10:06 pm

I salute you sir on your victory of pointing out my typo. I do make them and I take pleasure when trolls get so much joy from such a small victory.

Since the labor issue we are discussing really has nothing to do with conservative gun culture that's steeped in Christian bigotry and extreme fear of equality in all of its forms, I'll wrap the subject up by saying your slacker argument is nonsense. I've worked in the private sector for 15 years and the public sector for 23 and neither one has the corner on substandard work and loafing over the other.

Back to my original point that the "gnostic heresies of fascism that the right has spent decades trying to repel the image of" (as Reid Buckley coined it), is starting to bring the GOP more into focus every day.

GOP Chickens Roosting

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 14, 2017 at 3:06 pm

"We've got to end this, we've got to stop it because I watched my friend and fellow member Steve Scalise lay motionless on the field wondering if he was going to be OK. That is a picture I will never forget."

Laughable if it wasn't so alarming about how mentally ill Rodney Davis is

Annotator wrote on June 15, 2017 at 11:06 am

"Isn't it interesting how another person's plight isn't real to a conservative that they can't experience empathy unless it's happening to them or someone close to them. Rodney davis has no qualms about doing away with a healthcare plan and replacing it with a no preexisting conditions plan that will literally KILL PEOPLE."

I'm thinking you're not one of the people who is on the ACA program.  Maybe it is time you get enrolled into the program.  Then we will see you whining about the insane premiums and annual deductible.  Hopefully, you are as wealthy as the people who are now losing their ACA policies.

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 15, 2017 at 2:06 pm

You are poorly informed

Here is the outline of the plan Trump has in store for America with giant tax break for the wealthy included, put together by Champaign County Health Care Consumers. If you are on ACA and don't want it pay the tax penalty and stop whining. I pay plenty for my health care

cjw61822@hotmail.com wrote on June 14, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Oh Saulie.

You are aware that Illinois has some of the strictist gun laws the nation.  You need a FOID card ( which can be revoked by ISP at any time) to buy even 22 ammo.  So save your speculation on how this is the problem for gun owners .  In the mean time,how many people have been killed by DUI drivers today....and I find your "support" of law enforcment  is laughable.

CallSaul wrote on June 14, 2017 at 5:06 pm

Though your text is garbled, your meaning seems clear. Where exactly do you think you see me somehow blaming gunowners in general. I certainly blame one particular gun owner.

I also question the need for making guns so easily available, especially to those with violent histories.

This is clear from my original comment, even to someone as eager to self delude as you've proved to be in your comments.

Also note that I said nothing about the comparative stringincy of Illinois' laws on gun availability. That's not relevant to my obvious point.

So, you're claiming to believe that we can only approach deaths due to gun violence and deaths due to DUI on a binary either/or basis?

And what a weird comment about the police, including your strange use of scare quotes.

At lesat for most people that would be quite an odd statement, but readers have come to expect such oddity in your ramblings so...meh...

Patriot2 wrote on June 14, 2017 at 6:06 pm

The shooting today has nothing to do with gun control. It is about the leftist hate speech that has been going on and with extreme intensity since the election of President Trump. Groups like Antifa are very violent. The shooter from Illinois walked on to the baseball field to kill republicans. He was radical leftist who hated Trump and republicans. After months of non stop Trump hate from the news media, late night comedians, social media, people with Trump's decapitied head and plays that stab President Trump to death people on the left are becoming unstable and insane. This played out today by the Illinois man who said on social media it was time to "destroy Trump and Co".

Congressman Rodney Davis was up to bat when the shooting started. He has to have sheriff deputies park in front of his house because of threats from insane Illinois leftist. The FBI might want to see if the Belleville man knew anyone from central Illinois.

No this wasn't about guns.

CallSaul wrote on June 14, 2017 at 6:06 pm

This most definitely and obviously is about the easy availability of guns.

To believe otherwise is sheer self delusion. You're free to delude yourself all you want but don't expect everyone else to join you in your willful ignorance.

And you might want to be careful about trying to blame this on 'the left.'

That is, unless you first agree that 'the right' is to blame for the KKK, McVeigh's slaughter in Oklahoma City, Eric Rudolph and the other RWNJs who murder abortion doctors & workers and shoot up and bomb clinics and all the other examples in the long list of rightwing violence in this country.

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Foxnews chickens coming home to roost. Nothing more

APC wrote on June 15, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Words out of Trump's mouth:

"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters."

"I'll beat the crap out of you."

"Part of the problem ... is nobody wants to hurt each other anymore."

"The audience hit back. That's what we need a little bit more of."

"In the good old days this doesn't happen because they used to treat them very, very rough."

"Try not to hurt him. If you do, I'll defend you in court, don't worry about it."

"I'd like to punch him in the face."

"Knock the crap out of them."

"Maybe he should have been roughed up."

"I don’t know if I’ll do the fighting myself or if other people will."

“Hillary wants to abolish — essentially abolish the Second Amendment. By the way, if she gets to pick, if she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is, I don’t know.”

Trump:

ridiculed Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio; slandered Ted Cruz by linking his father to the Kennedy assassination; egged on his followers to attack political demonstrators, encouraged hatred of immigrants and called Mexicans “rapists”; mocked a disabled journalist; denigrated judges, states (Hawaii), etc...

Not to mention his favorites: Ted "Suck on this Hillary" Nugent, Alex "Pizzagate" Jones, Sean "Seth Rich" Hannity

Need more evidence?

cjw61822@hotmail.com wrote on June 14, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Here is a sampling of your most recent post... rather harsh is it not?  Calling people who disagree with you thugs and goons?

I'd joke and sarcastically ask if Republicans are happy with themselves for what they've become in the age of Trump.

But the sad fact is, the majority of the thuggish Trump GOP are actually no doubt quite proud of this Montana goon.

They think assaulting another person is exemplary behavior and gleefully laugh at this kind of violence.

The Republicans now and forever are the Party of Trump --- thugs and goons.

Disgusting.

CallSaul wrote on June 14, 2017 at 6:06 pm

So, you're now reduced to attempting to claim that because I decried political violence and its easy acceptance, I'm somehow responsible for it?

This comment is more than usually obtuse, even for you, but that seems to be the point you're trying to make.

Or are you trying to say something else...?

787 wrote on June 14, 2017 at 6:06 pm

Hopefully, after this ordeal, the Rodney Stalkers will put their cardboard cutout of Rodney away, stop whining and complaining about everything that Rodney does or doesn't do, and find other hobbies to pursue.  They've taken it WAY past discourse, and have nearly turned this into a vendetta (especially with the creepy cardboard cutout).

This looney shooter from Belleville made it clear that he despised Republicans, and what they stood for.   What makes these Rodney Stalkers any different?

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

"What makes these Rodney Stalkers any different?"

The difference between the first amendment and the 2nd

“And if she gets to pick...” he continued, “if she gets to pick her judges: Nothing you can do, folks.Although the Second Amendment people, maybe there is,” he added. “I don’t know. But I tell you what, that will be a horrible day.”~Donald Trump (Psychopathic despot)

cjw61822@hotmail.com wrote on June 14, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Since you are missing the point

You spread hate.   You scream TRUMP hate filled speech to every one who disagrees with you.

Is that clear enough for you.

Your anti Trump venom your "Trump stole the election" diatribe has gone on for 7 months now.

Your anti police rants have gone on forever.. but today.. you say that they are heros....... make up  your mind............

Election have consequences   get over it

President Obama

CallSaul wrote on June 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

I don't think anything having to do with any of your rants has ever clear to anyone but you (if that)...

So weirdly lacking in self awareness. But again, for extreme rightwingers like you, lacking even an iota of self awareness is par for the course, I guess. Kinda like the price of admission...

If expressing disagreement with our current buffoon and likely criminal president somehow caused this violence, then I guess you're accepting responsibility on behalf of all rightwingers that all of your hatred and lunacy about Obama must have similarly caused, huh?

When do you believe you've seen me say Trump stole the election?

And when do you believe you've seen me engage in an 'anti police rant'?

Let's see actual quotes because remember, assertion --- especially by someone as deluded and addled as you --- does not equal evidence.

Put up or shut up...

john wesley wrote on June 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Wow.  It took Saul and bulldog about .2 seconds to politicize this thing.  That has to be some kind of record, even for them.

Maybe let the blood dry before pushing the 'gun laws' narrative.  I'm not a fan of the current administration, not even close.  Nor do I blame liberals or conservatives for this shooter.  Say what you will about most politicians, but they aren't generally trying to incite people to murderous behavior.

Can't we just collectively agree that this was a tragedy, and hope everyone pulls through ok?  Is that so difficult?  Not every murder is a soap box for you to clamber up on and shout your opinions.  Sometimes it's ok to just express sympathy.

CallSaul wrote on June 14, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Questioning why guns are so available in our society, where again ~93 people are killed by guns each day --- is hardly 'politicizing' it, whatever that means.

I'd say that trying to shut down the conversation and label it out of bounds out of some contrived 'respect the (latest) victims' stance actually disrespects current, past and the inevitable future victims of gun violence.

According to gun advocates, it's never the 'right time' --- by their reckoning, which they also insist is the only proper and allowable view of when the fabled 'right time' will be.

Guess what, more and more people disagree with this NRA line.

Don't join in the conversation if you don't want to but don't think you can shut others down on the subject, now or ever...

Annotator wrote on June 15, 2017 at 11:06 am

"Guess what, more and more people disagree with this NRA line.

Now is exactly the time to talk about such things as the astoundingly easy availability of guns in our society, even to people who have proven themselves to be violent and abusive."

I detest your blather.  No citations, no empirical facts, just Alt-Left spiel.

CallSaul wrote on June 15, 2017 at 11:06 am

Meh...

I detest your fact-free reality-denying and utterly unthinking reactionary rightwing ravings that you crib from the rightwing media kooks and scammers and then robotically repeat.

And I'm not at all concerned about whether you approve of my opinion or not...

Bulldogmojo wrote on June 15, 2017 at 2:06 pm

How was this not political at all levels already?

These are the GOP's talking points come home to roost and only now Rodney Davis decries something must be done about gun violence. (but really he means gun violence just near him)

When someone shoots up a school these clowns are all oh what a tragedy thoughts and prayers and then turnaround and fan the vanity of the Alex Jones types who lure the mentally ill into foisting death threats upon Newtown families.

The foxnews crowd unmasked

Ban Sharia!

Ban Abortions!

Ban Muslims!

Ban Mexicans!

Ban Guns...uh wait a mnute now bans don't really work

Ugh these Conservatives are such dutiful Germans aren't they defending their fuhrer

cjw61822@hotmail.com wrote on June 14, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Saulie

Source for this observation?

Guess what, more and more people disagree with this NRA line.

You have spewed your anti Trump message for months now.  You are a joke.  If the President came out and said that the sun rose in the East you would scream the Russians hacked the solar system,  You are one trick pony  nothing more......................

Sid Saltfork wrote on June 15, 2017 at 8:06 am

After reading the above comments, there will be more political violence.  The comments are the same all over the country.  Maybe, the nation needs another bloodbath in order to stabilize American Democracy?

Take the time to discuss sports, movies, books, kids, weahter, or anything else but politics.  Help someone else.  There is still time to end the madness.  Hateful words do not help even if they are a retort to idiots.

Annotator wrote on June 15, 2017 at 10:06 am

"Politicians reap what they sow.  What used to be seasonal politics has become an amplified, constant, political battle between the so called Left, and the Alt-Right.  Now, the politicians who started this insanity want protection.  It is too late now.  This violence will not end.  Multiply it with the homeless, the elderly, and the millions that suffer inequity.  People driving expensive cars, living in expensive houses, eating at expensive restaurants, etc.... will become targets.  Neighborhoods will burn down.  Those with money will flee to other countries.  Yes, that is called Revolution."

Hmm sounds like you've been reading your Lenin manifesto again.  Russia may very well be influencing American politics through your Alt-Left.  The Alt-Left isn't a so-called political group, it exists.  If you want to attack people you deem as "wealthy" you have my blessing.  Remember they have the same rights you do, including self-defense.  You might suffer the imagined "punishment" you foresee them receiving.

Think before you speak!

Sid Saltfork wrote on June 15, 2017 at 12:06 pm

At least, you can copy what I wrote.  You can distort, and rant also.

Everybody can buy a gun according to Congress, and the NRA.  The recent incident did nothing to control gun sales.  Here is a partial list of what I do not like.  I do not like so many guns either open, or concealed in the hands of the public.  I do not like the wealthy who exploit the poor, the elderly, the youth, and the disadvantaged.  I do not like politicians whose rhetoric has brought about political hatred. I do not like the ignorant who only get their opinions from one source.  I do not like the idiots who equate Lenin, Russia, and the American Left as one group.  I do not like being threaten by polltical parrots.

Take a walk, listen to music, talk about the weather, do something other than hate your neighbors, co-workers, family members, and others that do not agree with your constant political whine.

honor9chief wrote on June 15, 2017 at 10:06 am

Spot on Sid!

Sid Saltfork wrote on June 15, 2017 at 12:06 pm

Thanks.  I am having a painful week.  You know how that goes.  Tomarrow will be a new day though.  Hope things are better for you.  Take care my "opposite party friend".