Ammons won't run for Davis' seat

Ammons won't run for Davis' seat

URBANA — Saying it was "one of the hardest decisions of my life," State Representative Carol Ammons has decided not to run for Congress.

"With my deepest appreciation for your support and encouragement, I have decided not to run for the 13th Congressional District in 2018," Ammons posted on her Facebook page on Monday night.

Ammons, D-Urbana, had been considering challenging incumbent Rodney Davis, R-Taylorville, for the past two months and held several "listening sessions" throughout the district during that time.

"Across the 13th Congressional District, from Champaign-Urbana to Edwardsville, I heard you say that the issues and policies impacting your lives on a day-to-day basis, the ones pushing you into survival mode, crushing your families and dampening your children's dreams, are primarily state issues," Ammons said. "What I heard at the listening sessions, loudest and clearest, is that right now I am needed most in state government, fighting for Champaign-Urbana and all of Illinois in 2018."

Ammons, a two-term state representative and former Urbana City Council and Champaign County Board member, said she intends to continue to serve in state government.

"Although many have asked me to run for Congress, many more have asked me to remain a voice in Springfield," she said. "Right now, Springfield is where I need to be and I promise to continue to be your voice when you're not there to speak for yourselves."

Ammons said that, just because she is not pursuing a Congressional seat, she will continue her criticism of Davis.

"Make no mistake — I will still be using my voice to hold Congressman Davis accountable in the coming election," Ammons said. "He voted to take health coverage away from more than 50,000 of his constituents and has refused to honor his constituent's requests for town halls."

During an appearance at the Champaign Public Library in June, Ammons had expressed concerns over raising enough money to challenge Davis.

"What prevents me from declaring tomorrow is the big dollar sign we've got to raise," Ammons said. "If we can't raise enough money to outspend Americans For Prosperity, which is supporting Rodney Davis and giving him the money, it makes it difficult for me to be competitive."

The 13th Congressional District extends from Champaign-Urbana on the northeast to Collinsville and Edwardsville on the southwest. It includes all of Champaign-Urbana, Decatur and Springfield and parts of Bloomington-Normal.

Ammons did not immedately return calls from The News-Gazette for comment.

Ammons' husband, Aaron Ammons, serves on the Urbana City Council.

Sections (2):News, Local

Comment viewing options

787 wrote on July 24, 2017 at 10:07 pm

Finally came to the painful realization that she had zero name recognition, once they got past Monticello.

Annotator wrote on July 25, 2017 at 8:07 am

Correction, the city limits of Champaign-Urbana.  Thanks to the gerry-mandering of the Madigan screaming liberals in Cook and the collar counties, she will never have a future in state politics as anything more than a placecard holder.

787 wrote on July 25, 2017 at 2:07 pm

I was going to be polite and use "Mahomet", but was feeling especially generous and typed "Monticello" instead.

And as someone else already mentioned, we have the Rodney Stalkers here... and they are in an area that comprises only a small portion of Davis' total district.    However, they are somwhat entertaining.

wykhb wrote on July 31, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Engaging with and humoring the mental illness of people trying to disguise their intense self-hatred behind political fervor can be hilarious just like their clown candidates.  About as interesting as poking a dead animal with a stick though, and at some point the stink and icky feeling becomes too much to bear.

Davis isn't going anywhere, actual citizens of his district elected him, not politicians from California and Chicago and their masters.

C in Champaign wrote on July 25, 2017 at 7:07 am

No surprise here. A bird in the hand as they say. She professes to be worried about the money it would take to beat Rodney,  but the truth is she was unlikely to get past the primary,  and Dick Durbin's former aide who will get all the party money, and probably plenty from Durbin's war chest too,  in the primary.

Annotator wrote on July 25, 2017 at 8:07 am

I pointed out, in my reply to the first article, and her screaming liberal supporters, that the population of Champaign-Urbana is at most 10% of the 13th district.  A tiny blue dot on the downstate map.  The 90% of voters in the 13th district have elected Rodney Davis multiple times, with challenges by far more well-known adversaries than she.  For the future, if she doesn't tow the Madigan line, she will be replaced by a fresh screaming liberal face.

cjw61822@hotmail.com wrote on July 25, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Other than getting her husband a pardon what has she done besides vote for Madigan?  I mean has she introduced legislation to put Carle back on the tax rolls?   No?   Why not?

Bulldogmojo wrote on July 31, 2017 at 1:07 pm

Rodney Davis, The man who said "Something needs to be done about this" (meaning gun violence but only the gun violence that happens near HIM) Otherwise he's the NRA's bag man $$$

Right Steve Scalise?