Tate: Rants about 'war chant' easy to hear

Tate: Rants about 'war chant' easy to hear

When the call-ins boiled over and the texts on Saturday's call-in show swept past 30, two things became apparent: (1) The sudden ban of the Illini "war chant" touched a nerve and (2) We shouldn't have scheduled anything else on WDWS for those two hours.

Who can deny it; the drum-beat music is uplifting. When I heard it Saturday, I asked to hear it again. It tingles my nerves, as it has for about 70 of my 85 years.

Now the thoughts and reactions pour in faster than I can digest them ... First, and uppermost, publicist Kent Brown can be believed when he says there is no talk, no consideration about banning the popular "Three in One" halftime music.

However, when we look back at the frequent personnel changes in the UI's upper echelons, it makes a fellow wonder who might be making the decisions a few years from now. It probably won't be someone familiar with UI traditions.

So Wayne has a point when he asks, "What's next?"

Chief Illiniwek

Perhaps the biggest problem with this firestorm is that it awakened all those still harboring feelings about the loss of the UI's long-time symbol — Chief Illiniwek.

There was even talk related to bowl games. Furthermore, some non-Big Ten programs were threatening to drop Illinois from their schedules, and some conference members (like Iowa) were grumbling about it as well. Illinois was face-down and handcuffed athletically, and even worse in the liberal academic community.

Chain of thoughts

— The university has clearly mishandled an emotional issue. If this was in the plans since last year, it should have been announced and clarified, rather than stifling the drums in the middle of a soccer game?

— Maybe it's true — I don't know — that the stadium video board has become a better means of firing up fans at Memorial Stadium. But what's the point of dropping the "war chant" at soccer games? There's no video board.

— Come on, guys. The three men most involved were unavailable to the media.

Chancellor Robert J. Jones was busy with new students. AD Josh Whitman was traveling to Montana to see the volleyball opener. And band director Barry Houser couldn't be reached.

— Oh, and on the subject of firing up fans, there probably would have been plenty of loud reaction to the "war chant" if the UI football team hadn't been so inept ... losing 89 of the last 120 Big Ten games.

Give the fans more to cheer, and you would see a stronger display of energy.

— As we see all over the country, right or wrong, people are passionate about their traditions. Can't blame them.

Don't be misguided

— If, on the basis of this, you are stopping donations and/or attendance to UI games, you have misguided priorities ... you are overreacting ... or you aren't really a fan.

— For many supporters, disillusioned by all the firings, the student-athlete court cases, the women's basketball charges and the Simon Cvijanovic incident (he collected $250,000), this feels like one more piled on top.

Loren Tate writes for the News-Gazette. He can be reached at ltate@news-gazette.com.

Comment viewing options

cjw61822@hotmail.com wrote on August 26, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Is this gone too?  I can remember you 15 yrs ago talking about Charlene Teeters and her trying to get rid of the Chief.   You said it would never happen.  Well it did and the NCAA is only partially to blame.  The spokesperson for the AD office is either mistaken or lying.  Take your pick.  What the NG should do is file a FOIA on all emails concerning the 3 in 1 and its removal from the U of I.  The term "FIGHTING ILLINI" will be on life support too.

When you have a lousy footbal team  ( and the U of I has been bad since forever) you go to the games out of loyalty or for the atmosphere.  Since there is no atmosphere to attend the games, then what is the point of attending the games,. You have a coach who displays 0 attention to Champaign  ( contrast that with the BB coach) He is not "drumming up"  ( pun intended) support around town.  He is here for the pay check, then back to sunny florida in a few years and 15 million richer.... You have a fan base that by the time November 11th rolls around, the attendance will be less than a Unity /St Joe HS football game.....

As for the excuses...........

No phone service in Montana?  Really?  Josh is all about talking about a stadium project that will not happen, but he is gone and out of touch when this hits?

The chancellor is busy with a convocation?  Uh........... check the schedule.............. there was not one today..................................................

Barry Houser?  Ill give him a pass, but ask yourself this............. what other Professor would allow his class notes to be censored.  Remember.............. this is a  band class.............. music is part of the class and now your telling a professor that he cannot use a book ( music) that he wants?

Kileen said he was "out of the loop"  then who was in the loop?

The Chancellor has made it clear that he really will pander to whom ever scream the loudest who is a minority............. look up his reaction to a made up incident on the bus at his last job.

He and Kileen could care less about the U of I.  It is a retirement job for one guy and a stepping stone to an Ivy league school for the other.

WE WILL WIN#

The University of Illinois Grain Silos now take the field.

PSL wrote on August 27, 2017 at 12:08 pm

This is the second article about the old racist mascot in which I've seen you screw up a hashtag, which is the simplest thing imaginable.

Moonpie wrote on August 27, 2017 at 9:08 am

Oh, here we go again!

Prehistoric Tate clings to his institutional racism. Ah, the good old days of goose stepping. The Dancin' Injun! Our beloved racial stereotype!

Like Trump, Prehistoric Tate tosses red meat to his knuckledragger surrogates.Somehow their lives lack meaning if hey can't coninue to demean an entire people and relegate them to mascot status--less than human. Less than wihte.

I wrote about the Chief controversy for the Gazoo back in The Dark Ages and I knew Charlene Teters. I salute her for taking a principled stand back then.

Time for Tate and his minions to leave the dark past behind and come toward the light. But they wont. They can't. They live to demean others. Folks dfferent than them.

Soon this forum will likely full up with intolerance, stoked by Prehistoric Tate.

Let the mud wrestling begin!

Annotator wrote on August 27, 2017 at 2:08 pm

"

Oh, here we go again!

Let the mud wrestling begin!"

Looks like Call Saul has a new alias, or a copy-cat admirer!

Illiniwek222 wrote on August 27, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Nope...Moonie is just a failed NG ex-employee who rants on everything Tate has to say.

Same tired old monologue, which is probably why NG kicked him to the curb.

CallSaul wrote on August 27, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Paranoid conspiracy theories from a RWNJ supporter of the racist old mascot, the chicken feather 'chief.'

What a surprise...

GLG wrote on August 28, 2017 at 8:08 am

Your name calling is cute!! What are you, A 3rd grader??

Illiniwek222 wrote on August 28, 2017 at 11:08 am

Please don't demean 3rd graders.

cjw61822@hotmail.com wrote on August 28, 2017 at 4:08 pm

HURRICANE HARVEY

TRUMPS FAULT

save you the posting there Sollie boy

Moonpie wrote on August 27, 2017 at 9:08 am

Oh, here we go again!

Like Trump, Prehistoic Tate tosses red meat to his knuckledragger surrogates.Somehow their lives lack meaning if hey can't coninue to demean an entire people and relegate them to mascot status-less than human. Less than whte.

I wrote about the Chief controversy for the Gazoo and I knew Charlene Teters. I salute her for taking a principled stand back then.

Soon this forum wil likely full up with intolerane, stoked by Prehistoric Tate.

mvillini wrote on August 27, 2017 at 10:08 am

Well said Loren ! Right on all counts.

myattitude wrote on August 27, 2017 at 12:08 pm

This is all about political correctness at all levels. Many of us who are tired of universities pushing this to absurd levels do have a reason to stop donations and attending events.

Annotator wrote on August 27, 2017 at 2:08 pm

"The Chief is missed. But people who call the UI administration "gutless" for having retired him are wrong. The board of trustees had no choice a decade ago because the dispute had lingered for nearly two decades, and the NCAA had made a ruling. The NCAA was prepared to remove Illinois as a host for events like the NCAA gymnastics and tennis championships, NIT basketball, baseball's super-regional, volleyball regionals or anything of that nature."

Sure...  How many of these functions has Illinois hosted since the Chief was banned?  One or two?

Get real!  The alt-left began at the U of I 20+ years ago with the false native-american studies department.  Of course that department now has 0 core faculty, 3 professors, 2 associate professors, 3 postdoctoral fellows (grad students with zero job prospects), 1 interim director (never to become a director), 1 research assistant (working on grad degree), 1 assistant director and 1 office support assistant.  Most likely, few of them will return in the 2018 - 2019 school year, with the reduction of budgets in progress.

byrdslover wrote on August 27, 2017 at 3:08 pm

"— And be honest, isn't there some bitterness among the majority in witnessing another victory for anti-Chiefers Jay Rosenstein and Stephen Kaufman?"

And finally, there it is folks.  Tate finally gets to the bottom of what this 30 year debate is all about.  All that endless talk about how important the Chief is, how important tradition is, all that love and affection for the Chief ....

What it's really about is that you don't like two guys.  All the rest of the rhetoric is just cover for what's really at stake: you don't want Rosenstein and Kaufman to win.

How pathetic.  How sad.  All those hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on pro-Chief ads, newspaper inserts, political lobbying, billboards all over town, all because .... what? .... you don't want those two guys to win.

Wow.

ROB McCOLLEY wrote on August 27, 2017 at 4:08 pm

Well, Kaufman was a season-ticket holder. So there's that.

GLG wrote on August 27, 2017 at 6:08 pm

Being a season ticket holder and going to the games are two different things, Anyone have a picture of Kaufman at a game?  Even if the University of Illinois got rid of the entire sports program some liberal would find something  offensive to whine about!

I'm sure Kaufman hates seeing the name "Illinois" on his checks but he cashes them anyway!   There is no end to it with these people!  Wear your Illini gear to the Urbana farmers market, Kaufman is a regular,  He would love to talk about the Chief !

ROB McCOLLEY wrote on August 27, 2017 at 9:08 pm

The idea that someone would buy tickets simply to boycott games is almost as charming as the notion that full-time university employees receive paychecks on paper.

So thanks for the laugh.

Also, you've reminded me that the last time I saw Prof. Kaufman was at the farmer's market. And I'm glad I did. He explained the proper procedures for a DIY home improvement project that I was about to botch.

BTW, I don't agree with the position that the Chief was hostile and abusive. I feel bad for Charlene Teters because I know people who suffer from persecution complexes and other forms of mental illness. Obviously not all native Americans dislike tribal names and images in college sports. The Seminoles and Utes for example.

GLG wrote on August 28, 2017 at 2:08 pm

The Cheif was just the start for Kaufman and his ilk. I know U of I folks don't get paid with paper checks, but I'm sure whenever he see the word "Illinois" on anything he has to be thinking how soon untill we get that changed.  I thought you were a history profesor, I didn't know you were also an expert on mental health, I must have missed that on your  Linkedin page.   Those DIY home projects can be a challenge, Im glad Prof. Kaufman was able to help you out.  As for the Utes and Seminoles, They are paid a lot of money to be "Unoffended"

ROB McCOLLEY wrote on August 28, 2017 at 5:08 pm

My father is a retired history professor. My advanced degree is law, not psychology or neuroscience. And yes, for a layperson I have a fairly extensive knowledge and experience of mental health issues. My middle sister is an administrator in the Behavioral Health Division of
Santa Rosa County, so I've also heard a lot from the government perspective.

I grew up with Kaufman's kids. They lived next door to the late Lloyd Eastman, also a history professor. Green Party candidate Durl Kruse lives there now.

Cobra Soccer Dad wrote on August 29, 2017 at 8:08 am

I would love to see your resume

Work Experience:

Sister is an administrator in California

Dad is a History Professor (retired)

I'm a professional know it all with a Holiday Inn Express frequent visitor card

Education:

I live near the University of Illinois

I've driven through Chicago, you know where Northwestern and Univ of Chicago are.

Do you realize how ridiculous this statement is "And yes, for a layperson I have a fairly extensive knowledge and experience of mental health issues. My middle sister is an administrator in the Behavioral Health Division of Santa Rosa County, so I've also heard a lot from the government perspective" ?   In trying to establish bonafides, you claim to have extensive knowledge and experience of mental health issues because your sister is an ADMINISTRATOR in California.  She's not even an active clinician, but an admin.  My wife has been a legal secretary for 30 years, probably longer than you've been alive.  Based on your stringent criteria, that makes me more of an expert on law than you.

Illiniwek222 wrote on August 29, 2017 at 10:08 am

Rob does seem a little "it's all about him", but his blog is pretty good, and don't ya just love that pencil drawing?

ROB McCOLLEY wrote on August 29, 2017 at 6:08 pm

I'm glad you like the Illini Report.

I'm not trying to make this about me. GLG incorrectly asserted that I'm a history professor. I clarified the mistake.

The cobra dad obviously didn't read all of that, and seems to have a hard time with grammatical conjunctions generally. On the other hand, I'll bet his wife does have a better understanding of law practice than I do. I haven't represented a client in over a decade.

The Gipper wrote on August 27, 2017 at 7:08 pm

He'll likely be in the easternmost aisle, where all the left wing nut jobs have their pathetic booths.

JamBam wrote on August 27, 2017 at 7:08 pm

Loren, I would gladly exchange not being able to host non-revenue NCAA regionals in exchange for keeping the Chief and keeping all tradition. It certainly would have been a better financial decision.  The Chief sold lot of merchandise.  It created a culture at Football and Basketball games.  To take that away, just to host non-revenue sports was a idiotic trade off.  Not to mention the countless donors who stopped giving when the Chief was retired.

Illinois sports will never be good again and it is absolutely gutless that Josh Whitman, an alum, couldn't even keep the theme song of Illinois athletics - War Chant.

Good luck Josh trying to get donations.  I doubt most of your future projects get funded with the money sunk into the Lovie sinkhole, and dwindling donations from those that go to games.  If you think video board music is what people want instead of the band playing, you are out of touch.

The admins at the U of Illinois should drop sports altogether. That is what Kaufman wanted. He didn't care a single bit about any Native American cause.

Local Yocal wrote on August 27, 2017 at 8:08 pm

The war chant was a juvenile ape-ing of an Indian war song suggesting native savages played music before a slaugther. It was a stereotype invented by ignorant white people and needed to be cast aside like the sambo Chief Illiniwek. The U of I is trying to grow up, and it's commendable they insist the university won't be a part of any more minstrel shows.

GLG wrote on August 28, 2017 at 10:08 am

"The U of I is trying to grow up, and it's commendable they insist the university won't be a part of any more minstrel shows."

You mean like the break dancing and end zone celebrations when the Fighting Illini score?

myattitude wrote on August 27, 2017 at 9:08 pm

How is the Illini War Chant different from this NA war song?

rsp wrote on August 28, 2017 at 1:08 am

For one thing it's from the Oglala tribe, not related to the Illini tribe. The songs don't sound anything alike. It's like having two songs, one in Spanish and one in French, but they are both love songs...

cjw61822@hotmail.com wrote on August 27, 2017 at 9:08 pm

Whoa.,................

Rob did you just state that Ms. Teeters has a mental illness?

ROB McCOLLEY wrote on August 28, 2017 at 1:08 am

I wouldn't know.

I watched an interview, years ago, in which she described the moment it happened to her. She'd taken her son to see the Flyin' Illini because they were the big show in town that year. When the halftime dance started, she was horrified.

She described feeling personally insulted, personally attacked.

The halftime dance routine was taught to a U of I student by some Lakota Sioux in the 1920s. Teters is a member of the Spokan Tribe. The Spokan have ritual dances, but they don't necessarily resemble dances that originated in nations a thousand miles to the east.

Her response reminded me of experiences I've had with people who do have documented, diagnosed disorders.

Persecution complexes are really easy to manipulate. You only need to tell Person A that Person B loves/hates them and you've already affected the way Person A thinks about Person B and himself.

Unfortunately, the reactionary movement that launched in her wake features a lot of people who really do attack and insult her personally. That didn't help anything because it didn't address the underlying issue.

The issue is perception versus reality.

Cobra Soccer Dad wrote on August 28, 2017 at 8:08 am

You wouldn't know???  Then why did you you say "I feel bad for Charlene Teters because I know people who suffer from persecution complexes and other forms of mental illness."

Sounds like a HIPAA violation since you seem to have intimate knowledge of her medical records.

Tyronius P HoggLegg wrote on August 28, 2017 at 11:08 am

You are quite insane Rob...and that isn't a Hippa violation, just matched you up with at least 5 disorders in the DSM-5

MarkDibley wrote on August 27, 2017 at 11:08 pm

"First, and uppermost, publicist Kent Brown can be believed when he says there is no talk, no consideration about banning the popular "Three in One" halftime music.

The "Three in One" is admittedly a continuation of the Native American imagery, but the NCAA doesn't care, and I don't think those in charge at the UI intend to tackle that controversy."

Kent Brown can't be believed at all. A song that "is admittedly a continuation of the Native American imagery", and you don't think it's one more item in the crosshairs of the cultural Marxists and regressive Lefties that run and populate this institution? That's simply naive. Start collecting all the sheet music for burning, it's only a matter of time. Get rid of "Fighting" from the traditional name, it characterizes Native Americans as violent savages--in fact, the Illini name should be removed entirely. How many Illini descendants participate at the University as faculty, staff, or students? So few that use of the name is simply an ongoing exercise in cultural appropriation by the privileged.

Where does this stop? Who knows, because now we're well into a campaign of appeasement with these neo-Marxist regressives and their ilk. Chamberlain opened the door for Hitler's destruction of Europe with such a strategy. We shall see if Western culture will survive the current onslaught--prospects aren't the brightest at his point.

byrdslover wrote on August 28, 2017 at 1:08 am

Yes, imitating someone else's culture is Western culture.  And there's the problem: "Western" has no culture of it's own, so it has to ape someone else's.

rsp wrote on August 28, 2017 at 1:08 am

Fighting Illini has to do with soldiers. Like, in the war. It's always helpful to know what you are ranting about.

Tyronius P HoggLegg wrote on August 28, 2017 at 11:08 am

Thanks rsp, you are correct...per WWI and ranting imbeciles...

GLG wrote on August 28, 2017 at 8:08 am

Tate was at the NG before you were and he's still there.

What did you do to get the boot??

Cobra Soccer Dad wrote on August 28, 2017 at 8:08 am

I want Bach and Mozart banned from Krannert and any campus venue.  I can't fathom the horror our Jewish students and faculty must endure knowing that music is being played glorifying composers from a nation that not long ago want to annihiliate their entire population.   Someone get me a pillow, I need to lie down.

ROB McCOLLEY wrote on August 28, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Surely you meant to say Richard Wagner, the renowned antisemite. But it's acceptable to perform the Ring Cycle so long as Mahler gets equal time.

burl55 wrote on August 28, 2017 at 9:08 am

"On that subject, I'll always wonder how many people who worked so feverishly against the Chief actually attended games."

Well Mr Tate, that depends. Does the U of I now accept EBT at the ticket booths? It's for sure they are too lazy to work. Oh, excuse me, they are all "disabled" and get SSDI also. Boy they could sure cuss out 12 year old girls in Chief shirts though.

On a good note, one can still buy Chief Illiniwek shirts, decals, flags etc. The "looney lefts" friends in China sell them on E-bay and other like sites. I'm sure the U of I gets no cut in the deal. But that just makes my smile even broader when I wear my shirts.

Illiniwek222 wrote on August 28, 2017 at 11:08 am

As the U of I has the trademark, I think the school does receive royalties. To keep the trademark, which the school refuses to abandon, they must utilize it.

Chief merchandise is readly available on a number of websites, including Fans Edge, T-Shurt, etc.

Isn't it ironic? Shop early and often. There is just as much Chief attire on campus as before he was "retired".

GLG wrote on August 28, 2017 at 10:08 am

Illini '73 wrote on August 28, 2017 at 8:08 pm

Ask any 100 Illini fans if the war chant had any relation to the Illini indian tribe, and I bet 99 would say no.  What's next?  The Fighting Irises?

Sid Saltfork wrote on August 31, 2017 at 1:08 pm

Imagine the turmoil if a statue was being removed?

It is sad that so many do not see the racism in having a mock, war-painted chief.  Other original Big Ten teams chose years ago to have badgers, wolverines, boiler makers, etc. instead of Indians.  Since it is a school team, the students should pick a new mascot.  That would include the foriegn students also.  The fans who are not part of the student body should have no say so in the matter.

I still like HAL myself, but it is a student matter.  The naming of a new mascot should take place before the spring semester ends.  Hopefully, Illinois sports improves a little before the naming.

CommonSenseless wrote on August 31, 2017 at 4:08 pm

And what if the student body chooses the Chief?