Champaign man accused of home invasion, kidnapping at ex's house

Champaign man accused of home invasion, kidnapping at ex's house

URBANA — A convicted sex offender who allegedy threatened to kill his ex-girlfriend and forced her and her toddler children from their home at knifepoint is in jail.

Curtis D. Morris, 22, whose last known address was in the 400 block of West Beardsley Avenue, is being held in lieu of $300,000 bond after his arrest Saturday. On Monday, he was charged with home invasion and aggravated kidnapping for events that happened a month ago.

A Champaign County sheriff's deputy's report said about 4 a.m. Sept. 19, Morris allegedly entered a home on Kings Way without permission, went to the bedroom of his ex-girlfriend and woke her by placing his hand over her mouth.

The report said Morris, who was on top of the 21-year-old woman, put a knife to her throat and threatened to kill her if she screamed.

He then forced her at knifepoint to leave the home, wearing nothing but her underwear and a T-shirt, along with her children, ages 1 and 2.

The group walked to an abandoned home about five doors away where Morris reportedly gave the woman the choice of killing him, killing herself or packing to leave with him. Although he never directly threatened the children, the report said he wanted the woman and her son to cut their hands, along with him, and "make a blood oath to be together forever." The report said they have a child in common.

The woman agreed to leave with him and eventually persuaded him to let her go back to her house for belongings. When they got there, she locked him out, texted family and called police. He was not located then.

Morris was wearing a GPS ankle monitor at the time because he was on probation for unlawful failure to register as a sex offender. He apparently cut the bracelet off but probation officials were able to determine he had been on Kings Way.

Morris was arrested Saturday on a warrant issued last month after a petition to revoke his probation had been filed days after the alleged home invasion and kidnapping.

When arrested Saturday, the report said, he admitted he had entered the woman's home while armed with a knife and that he put it to her neck and forced her and the children to leave with him.

Morris is due back in court Oct. 24 for a hearing on the petition to revoke his probation and a probable-cause hearing on the home invasion and kidnapping charges. The latter are Class X felonies carrying a mandatory prison sentence of between six and 30 years upon conviction.

Court records show Morris has a 2012 conviction for aggravated criminal sexual abuse and had been sentenced in May to probation for not registering as a sex offender.

Sections (2):News, Local