Urbana man found asleep in drive-thru faces drug, DUI charges

Urbana man found asleep in drive-thru faces drug, DUI charges

URBANA — An Urbana man who fled from police last week, allegedly leaving cocaine in his path, has been arrested and charged with drug and alcohol offenses.

Carell Pettis, 33, of the 800 block of East Kerr Avenue was arraigned Friday on charges of possession with intent to deliver cocaine, resisting a peace officer, and aggravated driving under the influence for a series of events that left an Urbana police officer off work with an injury for at least a month.

Assistant State's Attorney Will Lynch said on April 10, Urbana police were called to the Steak 'n Shake at 2009 Kenyon Road, where a customer was passed out in a car in the drive-thru.

Lynch said the officer found Pettis in a car and noted the smell of cannabis coming from the car and that Pettis was slurring his speech. Police also found a partially consumed bottle of tequila in the car and two small bags of cannabis.

After Pettis failed field sobriety tests, the officer started to pat him down before arresting him on charges of driving under the influence.

Lynch said Pettis ran, dropping a sock that contained about 18 grams of cocaine, more cannabis and another substance believed to be heroin or crack cocaine.

Police said Officer Benjamin Crane fell and broke his elbow while chasing Pettis, who got away.

Lynch said about 1:45 a.m. Thursday, sheriff's deputies were asked to investigate a person seen on security video inside the Urbana Country Club who appeared to be wet.

Once there, deputies found a car in a ditch with about 2 to 3 feet of water and Pettis staggering nearby.

He was taken to OSF Heart of Mary Medical Center in Urbana, where a blood draw put his blood-alcohol content at 0.24 — about three times the limit for motorist to be presumed intoxicated in Illinois.

Lynch said Pettis' cellphone was found in the car.

Because of a 2006 conviction for armed violence for which Pettis was sentenced to 17 years in prison, he faces extended-term sentencing on all the new charges if convicted.

Judge John Kennedy set his bond at $200,000 and told him to be back in court May 22.

Sections (2):News, Local