Mahomet shed 'a complete loss' after fire; no one injured

Mahomet shed 'a complete loss' after fire; no one injured

MAHOMET — A fast-moving, hot, smoky shed fire Wednesday south of Mahomet is under investigation by Cornbelt firefighters.

“We arrived at 5:40 p.m. and the roof had already collapsed into the building,” said Cornbelt Fire Protection District Chief John Koller.

Koller said his department received several calls about the fire in the 1800 block of County Road 400 E, which is about 2 miles due south of the village and almost 2 miles north of Interstate 72.

Heavy black smoke could be seen for miles in all directions.

“All the occupants of the home were safe,” Koller said.

They were the ones to first notice and call in the fire in the 60-by-40-foot shed after it had been burning for a while, he said.

He estimated the house on the property as being 200 feet from the burning building, which he described as a cinder-block shed with a wood-frame roof.

“It was an older building. The roof is what burned off and fell down in the building as we were arriving,” Koller said. “As I was driving up the lane, a (liquid propane tank) went flying in the air and landed in the field.”

The more-than-two-dozen firefighters who responded from Cornbelt, Seymour and Bondville were left to douse the flames and keep the fire from spreading to the house and especially the liquid-propane tank for it.

“There is nothing left. It was a complete loss,” Koller said of the structure that housed “a little bit of everything.”

At least one vehicle burned and another was damaged. The renter works for a fire and security company, Koller said, and kept many supplies like wire in the shed and a trailer for hauling his work-related supplies.

There were also barbecue grills that had propane tanks that the firefighters heard exploding as they arrived. The building did not have any utilities hooked up, he said.

Firefighters cleared about 7:10 p.m. and no one was injured, although one man was treated at the scene for heat exhaustion.

Koller asked for help with the investigation from the Mutual Aid Alarm Box System team for the area and the Illinois State Fire Marshal. They have not yet determined a cause.

Koller said the property is owned by Renee Lo of Savoy and occupied by renters.

Sections (2):News, Local