2017 Little Miss Champaign County Fair going for another crown

2017 Little Miss Champaign County Fair going for another crown

CHAMPAIGN — Usually, young girls going to Disneyland just plan to meet the princesses from their favorite fairy tales. But for Jordynn Huskisson, 2017 Little Miss Champaign County Fair, the main goal is to leave "the happiest place on Earth" as an actual princess.

"I've never done pageants, so I was really surprised when she wanted to do it," said her mom, Amy. "Now, she's hooked and ready for more."

The 7-year-old's countywide reign ended Sunday; however, her trip along the road to royalty isn't over yet. After receiving a letter nearly three weeks ago, Amy said Jordynn was selected to compete at a higher level due to her achievements and academic records.

Jordynn will compete as a finalist for the 2018 National American Miss Pre-Teen pageant in Indianapolis beginning July 26.

There, she'll show off her dancing skills, formal-wear outfit, personal introduction and her strongest facet, the interview.

"She's just learned so much," Amy said. "If you knew Jordynn before Sunday, she was just a shy little girl. Now, she talks to everyone like she knows them. Her public-speaking skills have improved so much."

The Fisher Grade School student admitted to feeling a little scared before the competition next week, but mostly enthusiastic.

"I feel amazing and excited," Jordynn said. "But also nervous because I know not everyone can win."

If Jordynn wins the Illinois title, she will go on to compete against 49 other girls for the National Jr. Pre-Teen competition over Thanksgiving week in California. The weeklong competition includes airfare, a hotel and a whole day at Disneyland.

"I want to win," Jordynn said. "I want to go to California and visit Hollywood."

Amy said her daughter has always loved tiaras and princesses, so pageants come natural to Jordynn. And despite being only 7, she said she's able to have conversations with adults.

"I never thought in a million years she would compete in pageants," Amy said. "She's changed so much in the last year. We are super proud of Jordynn."

Sections (2):News, Local
-