No one hurt in Rantoul house fire that destroys car, garage

No one hurt in Rantoul house fire that destroys car, garage

RANTOUL — No one was injured in an early-morning fire Wednesday that destroyed a garage and car and damaged a home.

Fire Chief Ken Waters said the fire caused an estimated $60,000 damage to the home of Bill and Martha Brown, who escaped with their pet dog. No one was injured.

Firefighters were called to the house in the 700 block of Juniper Drive at 1:38 a.m.

Waters said Bill Brown had been working on a lawn mower when it caught fire, destroying a 2016 Ford Escape and the garage.

The house, owned by the Stemmler Family Trust, sustained smoke damage throughout. The Browns were unable to stay at the home and spent the night at a hotel, Waters said.

The fire was ruled accidental.

Rantoul firefighters got a hand from Gifford and Thomasboro firefighters. The scene was cleared about 3:15 a.m., Waters said.

Sections (2):News, Local