Urbana man displaced after brush fire accidentally spreads to house

Urbana man displaced after brush fire accidentally spreads to house

URBANA — A man burning brush near his home was temporarily displaced Thursday night when the fire accidentally spread to his house.

Area firefighters were called to the single story home in the 100 block of Scottswood Drive in Urbana about 9 p.m.

Edge-Scott Fire Chief Steve Thuney said the resident was sitting on his neighbor's porch when he noticed the corner of his house on fire and called 911.

"The embers in the brush pile next to the house ... caught the corner of the house on fire and it extended into the roof above the kitchen. Damage was limited to that corner and a little of the kitchen," Thuney said.

Edge-Scott firefighters got help from Urbana, Savoy, St. Joseph-Stanton, Carroll and Eastern Prairie firefighters.

The fire was out within 20 minutes but firefighters remained about an hour. Thuney said the cause was listed as accidental. He estimated damage at $20,000.

The power had to be shut off and the resident was relocated with the help of the Emergency Support Services team and the Red Cross, Thuney said.

Sections (2):News, Local