Man accused of raping woman after she refused to prostitute herself

Man accused of raping woman after she refused to prostitute herself

URRBANA — A Champaign man who allegedly raped a woman after she refused his order to prostitute herself is in the Champaign County Jail on a parole hold.

Germel Butler, 44, who listed an address in the 600 block of South State Street, was charged Wednesday with two counts of aggravated criminal sexual assault as well as aggravated domestic battery and domestic battery with a prior domestic-battery conviction.

Assistant State's Attorney Matt Banach said the alleged attack on the woman began late Monday and stretched into the early-morning hours Tuesday. Banach said Butler was intoxicated and began arguing with the woman about money issues.

When she refused his request to prostitute herself, he allegedly hit her, threw her to the ground, then pulled her by the hair into the bedroom and sexually assaulted her.

The woman told police that after sleeping, she woke to Butler allegedly grabbing her around the throat and squeezing, again demanding that she prostitute herself.

When she refused again, he allegedly sexually assaulted her a second time. After both assaults, he forced the woman to shower.

The woman was able to escape Butler's apartment when a neighbor knocked at the door asking what was happening.

Butler allegedly hit that man, who later declined to cooperate with the police.

The woman fled the apartment and called for help. Police found Butler in the area on a bicycle. He refused to stop and had to be brought to the ground.

Banach said the woman had redness and swelling on her arms, legs and back. When told he was being arrested on charges of sexual assault, Butler said to police: "Why would she do this to me?"

Banach said Butler had multiple prior convictions for aggravated battery, possession of controlled substance, forgery, aggravated robbery and retail theft.

He has been to prison on at least six different occasions.

If convicted of the most serious charges, Butler faces six to 30 years in prison.

Judge John Kennedy set his bond at $500,000. Butler cannot be released until his parole hold is resolved with corrections authorities. Kennedy told him to be back in court Oct. 2 for a probable-cause hearing.

Sections (2):News, Local