Danville man gets 24 years for attack on resident at senior housing complex

Danville man gets 24 years for attack on resident at senior housing complex

DANVILLE — A 22-year-old Danville man was sentenced to 24 years in prison Tuesday for forcing his way into a Tilton senior apartment complex and beating an 86-year-old resident there.

The sentence handed down by Circuit Judge Thomas O'Shaughnessy was one year short of the maximum number of years Tyren C. Wilson could have been sentenced to per his plea agreement.

Wilson pleaded guilty Aug. 6 to one count of home invasion, a Class X felony, with a sentencing range from six to 25 years in prison.

The prosecutor, Thomas Brown of the Illinois State's Attorney's Appellate Prosecutor's Office, argued for the maximum, while defense Attorney Kevin Dixon argued for the minimum.

Wilson read a statement of allocution at the hearing, saying that he regretted everything that happened.

"I wholeheartedly apologize," he said to the victims, adding that he asks them to forgive him, not forget. He told the judge that he would work to turn a negative into a positive regardless of the sentence.

The sentence stems from an incident that began when police were called April 15, 2016, to the Coachlight Mobile Home Park in Tilton for a report of a man with a gun. According to evidence, when officers arrived, Wilson ran to the Tilton Senior Complex and forced his way into an elderly woman's apartment, threatening her with a weapon and demanding money.

She escaped out a back door, and Wilson broke a hole through an interior wall in her apartment, breaking into Golden's residence. He threatened Golden and beat him repeatedly with a gun, seriously injuring him. With Vermilion County sheriff's deputies and other police surrounding the complex, Wilson finally surrendered after negotiating with authorities.

Golden was hospitalized and received more than 100 stitches and eight staples in his head.

Wilson was also sentenced to three years of mandatory supervised release once he completes his prison sentence.

His case had been delayed for more than a year when the judge found Wilson mentally unfit to stand trial following evaluations by two court-appointed psychiatrists. The judge found him fit in March following additional mental evaluations at McFarland Mental Health Center in Springfield.

Sections (2):News, Local