UPDATE: Urbana man charged in shooting, 100 mph chase on I-74

UPDATE: Urbana man charged in shooting, 100 mph chase on I-74

URBANA — A parolee accused of firing a gun at a woman in Urbana on Thursday evening and then leading police on a high-speed chase on Interstate 74 has been criminally charged with serious felonies.

Robert Ellis Moore, 31, who listed an address in the 1200 block of West Church Street, Urbana, is charged with aggravated discharge of a firearm for allegedly shooting at a woman about 5 p.m. Thursday in the 700 block of Sunset Drive, a block west of the Champaign County Fairgrounds in north Urbana.

Urbana police Lt. Rich Surles said the shots came from a car and were intended for a female acquaintance of Moore. No one was hit. Several callers to police reported hearing as many as nine shots, then seeing a sport utility vehicle leaving the area.

Police said witnesses were able to identify Moore as the alleged shooter, so officers began looking for him, including watching his home.

About 8:35 p.m., police saw Moore and another person get in a Jeep Liberty that matched the description of the vehicle in the shooting and leave the home. Police tried to stop it, but it headed east, then north on Lincoln Avenue to Interstate 74.

In a pursuit that Surles said lasted 23 minutes, Moore drove to St. Joseph, then turned around and headed back to Urbana. Despite speeds of more than 100 mph, police stayed with the SUV and eventually got it stopped not far from Moore's home near Church Street and Goodwin Avenue in Urbana.

Moore was taken into custody, but the person in the Jeep with him was not. Moore declined to speak to police. He was also charged with aggravated fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer.

On Friday, Judge John Kennedy set Moore's bond at $750,000 and ordered him to wear a GPS monitor should he be released, and have no contact with the woman he allegedly targeted.

He was told to be back in court Feb. 12 for a probable-cause hearing.

If convicted of the Class 1 felony count of aggravated discharge of a firearm, Moore faces penalties ranging from probation to four to 15 years in prison. The fleeing charge carries a sentence ranging from probation to one to six years in prison.

Moore is on parole, having been released from prison in April for a 2016 conviction of aggravated battery for which he was sentenced to two years in prison.

Court records show he has also been to prison three previous times for possession with intent to deliver Ecstasy, possession with intent to deliver cannabis and aggravated unlawful use of weapons.

Sections (2):News, Local