Another teen involved in UHS fight receives probation

Another teen involved in UHS fight receives probation

URBANA — Another of eight teen boys charged in connection with a fight at Urbana High School earlier this year that shut down the school has been sentenced to a year of probation.

Judge Tom Difanis sentenced the 15-year-old Monday as a juvenile for misdemeanor battery. A more serious charge of mob action was dismissed when the young man pleaded guilty in April for his role in a Feb. 4 brawl that involved 10 male teens from two opposing gangs.

Eight were arrested and charged after the melee that resulted in a teacher being knocked out, a heavy police response, the school being locked down and students dismissed early.

State's Attorney Julia Rietz said the youth's parents, who were in court with him, have agreed that he should go live with his grandmother, a retired Chicago police officer, in Chicago, where he intends to enroll in a Catholic high school.

Rietz said the teen had no prior juvenile adjudications.

Police continue to look for a ninth person who was involved. The 10th youth who took the majority of the pummeling from the others was not criminally charged. The cases of two of the charged teens remain unresolved.

Of the other six, one was sentenced to juvenile prison; three to probation; and two were referred to programs intended to keep them out of the criminal justice system.

Sections (2):News, Local
-