COLUMBIA CITY, Ore. – Barbara J. Jackson, 84, of Columbia City, Ore., died Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013.
Barbara was born on June 21, 1928, in Champaign, the daughter of James and Neva (Nelson) Collins. She was raised in Champaign and graduated from high school there in 1946. On Feb. 2, 1951, she was married to William Henry Jackson Jr. in Rantoul.
The couple moved to Wyoming shortly after their marriage where William attended law school at the University of Wyoming. Barbara worked as a secretary and also attended the university for a short time.
After William received his law degree, she worked as his secretary in his law firm for many years.
She was an active volunteer, mentor and instructor for the Job's Daughters in Wyoming for several years. She was a member of the Daughters of the Nile and was the Queen in 1982-83. She was also a member of the Order of the Eastern Star.
While in Rock Springs, Wyo., she was very proud to be actively involved in several charity organizations that helped others succeed.
She also owned and operated a convenience store and deli, "The 10 to 10," for many years in Rock Springs.
She enjoyed the outdoors, camping, fishing and arranging flowers.
After her husband retired from Sublette County, Wyoming, as the prosecuting attorney, they moved to Hawaii in 1986 and then to Melbourne, Fla., in 1994.
They moved to St. Helens, Ore., in 2005 to be close to their son Jim and his wife Jackie.
She is survived by her three sons, William Henry "Jay" Jackson III of Maui, Hawaii, James D. Jackson and his wife Jackie of St. Helens, Ore., and Jeff D. Jackson and his wife Pam of Grand Junction, Colo.; 11 grandchildren; three great-grandchildren; two sisters, Rosemary Graham of Coco Beach, Fla., and Nancy Tellefson of Rock Springs, Wyo.
She was preceded in death by one daughter, Kimberly Kaye Earles, in 1998 and her husband William in 2010.
A celebration of her life will be held this summer in Rock Springs.
Online condolences may be made to the family at www.columbiafh.com. Arrangements are under the direction of the Columbia Funeral Home.