GOP accepting job applications

GOP accepting job applications

If you're a glutton for punishment, there's an opening at the top of the Illinois Republican Party.

Pat Brady, captain of the Illinois Republican Party's burning ship, jumped/was pushed overboard Tuesday, ending one controversy but beginning another.

Brady irritated party leaders a few months ago when he suddenly announced his support for same-sex marriage in Illinois and urged Republican House and Senate members to vote for legislation approving it.

Brady's announcement, which was not in sync with the state party's platform, prompted push-back from other party leaders, some of whom suggested Brady should be ousted from his position as the state's party leader. He survived the coup attempt, but this week opted to leave on his own.

Brady attributed part of his decision to leave after four years to a wife who is suffering from cancer as well as the need to be at home with four children. But he conceded that "the last four or five months were not super-pleasant" and acknowledged that the same-sex marriage controversy contributed to his resignation.

With Brady now gone, the GOP's problem is finding a replacement. There is, no doubt, some eager beaver waiting backstage who wants to be called. But no one should underestimate the problem. Besides, there is only so much a party chairman can do.

Illinois is a solid Democratic state. Even if it wasn't, the state's legislative maps have been gerrymandered to guarantee Democratic majorities in the Illinois House and Senate through 2022. Democrats hold the governor's mansion and control the supreme Court.

The GOP holds two minor state offices — comptroller and treasurer — but its only hope for returning to relevance is winning the governor's mansion in 2014, a possibility but not a strong one at this point.

Brady announced his support for same-sex marriage because he said it was necessary to expand the GOP and attract younger voters.

"(Politics) is about addition, not subtraction," he said.

That's true enough. But it's also about fidelity to principle, and it's a lot to ask people to embrace same-sex marriage, abortion or any other controversial position for the sake of political expediency.

We don't begrudge Brady his position on same-sex marriage any more than we would begrudge anyone else a position on the issue — either for or against. This is America, where people are free and should be encouraged to think for themselves.

But controversial social issues aren't the only issues that drive election results, and it would be a mistake to think otherwise. Illinois is effectively bankrupt, deeply in debt, politically corrupt and ineptly run. Surely, there are issues somewhere in that sickening morass that even the moribund GOP can address.

Sections (2):Editorials, Opinion

Comments

Bulldogmojo wrote on May 09, 2013 at 11:05 am

Wanted: GOP Leader position

Grand Ol' Party seeks self-starter/multitasker. Must be willing to maintain bigoted status quo while simultaneously looking out for the interests of wealthy campaign donors and gun lobby. Must be willing to pass legislation to hinder research grants based on archaic religious ideology. Ideal candidate must have membership in good standing with the NRA and have "cold dead hands" bumper sticker on vehicle.

Willingness to deter women from access to reproductive services a plus.

Interested candidates are encouraged to apply through big oil lobbyists.

Not so equal opportunity employer.

Sid Saltfork wrote on May 09, 2013 at 12:05 pm

C-U's former Ms. America would be a good pick.  Also; George Ryan is out, and looking for a job.  Jim Thompson might know someone too.  Although, the best choice would be to bring Jim Edgar out of retirement to help heal the party.

Every time I hear the name Pat Brady, I think about the Roy Rogers Show.  "Happy Trails to You", Pat.

sweet caroline wrote on May 09, 2013 at 9:05 pm

And liberals say conservatives are the haters?  Bulldogmojo just put that myth to rest.

Bulldogmojo wrote on May 10, 2013 at 12:05 pm

any part of that you found inaccurate?

Pointing out the absurdity of strict adherance to crackpot ideology doesn't make you a hater. Hating makes you a hater.

BTW what makes you think I'm NOT a conservative?

I assume by your comment you believe that criticizing one's own party is a blasphemy and therefore you have surrendered your reason to someone elses view.

I'm conservative about some things and liberal about others and some of my views can't be catagorized in political terms. I make my own choices, try it you'll like it. I'm an equal opportunity offender.

sweet caroline wrote on May 10, 2013 at 3:05 pm

You are just so rude and condescending in all of your posts, Bulldogmojo.  There are many different viewpoints on issues, and most of us at least write in a respectful tone.  But you routinely come across as being hateful and mean-spirited.  You can get your point across without being sarcastic.  Just sayin'.

Bulldogmojo wrote on May 10, 2013 at 5:05 pm

OK I'll go along..

Dear Sweet Caroline, was there any part of that you found inaccurate that you would like to share your concerns about?

I was merely using ironic viewpoint in highlighting the futility of strict adherance to eccentric ideology. I don't feel that open criticism makes one a hater. Hating itself might be a better barometer of that declaration

A person wouldn't necessarily have to believe I was conservative or liberal exclusively.

I assume by your comment you believe that criticizing one's own party is a bit too confrontational.  Therefore I merely suggest you may have compromized your own beliefs for a prescribed politically influenced set of possibly inacurate and politically self serving agendas.

I myself am conservative about some things and liberal about others and some of my views can't necessarily be catagorized in political terms. I enjoy making my own choices and I encourage you to do the same over a nice cup of tea with a little honey and lemon.

Be well.

Love, Bulldogmojo

sweet caroline wrote on May 11, 2013 at 10:05 am

Very nice.  Thank you for being so respectful now, Bulldogmojo.  I actually disagree with all of your initial points, but I don't have the energy or the time to debate them.  Another time, another news story.  Have a wonderful weekend.  I mean it.

All my love,

Sweet Caroline

Bulldogmojo wrote on May 12, 2013 at 12:05 am

Just as an afterthought, I would say that only about 75% of my posts are rude and condescending as I am only rude and condescending about 75% of the time. Some of my posts have been deleted by NG and some even by me. I don't mind being told when I am wrong and have even posted a couple of apologies.

With that having been said, the statement "That's offensive", is never a counterpoint.

Til' the next article then...

GeneralLeePeeved wrote on May 11, 2013 at 5:05 pm

Wow!....there's so much sugar here, I'm about to go into a diabetic coma

Marti Wilkinson wrote on May 12, 2013 at 6:05 am

The problem with party platforms is you can't expect everyone within a specific party to have the same agenda across the board. Part of the problem I see with politics is that candidates and elected officials don't seem to be able to hold opinions that may break with the status quo. I know people who call themselves conservative but who support gay rights. This is probably, in part, due to the fact that more individuals who identify as GLBT are choosing to not live in the closet. Harvey Milk certainly had the right idea when he encouraged people to live honestly and openly.

Prior to Blagojevich taking office in 2003, the governors seat had been firmly occupied by republican representatives since Thompson took office in 1977. If the GOP manages to produce a solid candidate for the next election cycle, it may be possible for the Republicans to win the seat. The fiscal issues that have been plaguing Illinois is not something that came about overnight, but ended up being the result of years of poor planning and management. Too much time has been spent in trying to raise funds to pay immediate expenses, without any planning for the long term health of the state. Being poor is a very expensive proposition.

The GOP party line has been to reduce taxes while cutting spending. I can agree with the need to be frugal with spending, but decreasing taxes at the same time does not help address how our elected officials are going to put Illinois in the black. I can see initiatives to not raise taxes any further to be worth consideration, but the money to pay the bills has to come from somewhere. It's unfortunate that we have allowed the state to abuse the pension funds and now the employees will have to deal with the consequences.

Ideally any candidate running for office will have to have a solid plan on developing jobs, building the economy, and finding ways to generate the income that is needed to keep the state afloat. Instead candidates make moral appeals to voters on issues like abortion, gay marriage, immigration, and welfare. Pitting people against one another is how the power dynamic is able to maintain itself, and the machine keeps on a running.