URBANA — A bathroom vent fan that caught fire early Wednesday will mean an Urbana woman is going to have to find another place to live for a while.
Urbana Fire Chief Mike Dilley said firefighters were called to the upstairs portion of a duplex at 720 S. Broadway Ave., U, about 6:21 a.m.
The resident was in the shower when she noticed smoke coming from the vent fan.
"The fan caught fire and it got into the attic. She caught it real early. Otherwise, we would have had a major fire," Dilley said.
However, the fire got into cellulose insulation and firefighters were having to pull chunks of it down through the ceiling.
He said the upstairs resident would be displaced for a while but the downstairs unit would be okay for occupancy.
Dilley estimated damage at $10,000.
The renter and her two pets got out safely, he said.