CHAMPAIGN - Fire damaged a yard shed at a northwest Champaign home early Thursday.
Dale Dixon of 2405 Roland Drive, C, said he was about to lock up and go to bed at 12:15 a.m. when he "looked out the window and saw my barn on fire."
Dixon grabbed a garden hose and watered down the wooden structure. Another man walking by called 911, bringing Eastern Prairie firefighters and Champaign County sheriff's deputies to the home.
Dixon had the flames out and firefighters continued wetting the shed with the hose to make sure there were no hot spots that could rekindle.
The burn pattern and the fact that there was no electricity to the shed suggested that the fire was intentionally set. The fire damage was contained to the outer wall. Items inside were smoke and water damaged.
Dixon told deputies he didn't see or hear anyone outside his house, which is owned by his parents. Dixon said the shed contained items like books, coolers, and tools.
Deputies estimated the damage at $1,000.