CHAMPAIGN — Champaign firefighters quickly extinguished a small fire in a house in south Champaign Tuesday morning.
A neighbor noticed smoke coming from the eaves at 8 Mcdonald Court about 9:40 a.m. and called for help.
The occupants of the rental property were not home at the time.
Capt. Wayne Huckstadt said firefighters determined that a whole house ceiling fan had shorted out and caused the rafters that hold the fan in place to char.
"There was no (fire) extension beyond that. There was a lot of light smoke throughout the house and some debris from the fan fell on the carpeting," he said.
Firefighters were at the house about 45 minutes, getting the smoke out after making sure there was no fire in the ceiling.