Eugenia Lamb Watson
Home: rural Seymour
Political experience: Elected in 2010 as Democratic precinct committeeman.
1. What do you believe is the biggest problem in Champaign County government now, and what can you, as a single county board member, do about it?
I believe Champaign County has several issues at hand, but the two biggest are the nursing home and the jail. As a single board member I am willing to look objectively at the pros and cons of both of these issues.
2. What county services currently offered should be eliminated or reduced?
3. What services should the county provide that it does not offer now?
4. Are there circumstances under which you would vote for another increase in property taxes to support the operation of the Champaign County Nursing Home?
Yes, I believe I would support proposing tax increases if other options are not viable.
5. Are there circumstances under which you would vote to sell or close the Champaign County Nursing Home?
I feel it unlikely for me to support closing or selling the nursing home.
6. Do you believe the downtown jail should be closed as soon as possible? If so, do you think an addition would be needed to the satellite (east Urbana) jail?
I would support closing the downtown jail. I feel a serious review of how the jail is being utilized would help me determine whether or not to support an addition to the satellite.
7. What can the county board do to enhance economic development?
The county board should support agriculture growth, growth of local business owners, encourage growth of new business.
8. Does Champaign County need a building code?
Yes. I feel a building code to insure public safety would be wise. The cost of implementing such a program would need to be taken into consideration
9. Should the county or the county board do anything about a coal mine proposed for the Homer area?
The county board should be aware of any negative environmental impact such a facility would have and act appropriately.
10. Are there county offices that you believe can be eliminated or consolidated?