Occupation: Retired farmer, retired Corn Belt Fire Protection District chief.
Political experience: Nine years on county board; previous offices held include several township offices, county zoning board of appeals, soil and water conservation district board.
1. What do you believe is the biggest problem in Champaign County government now, and what can you, as a single county board member, do about it? I do believe Champaign County has several problems. At this point in time the Champaign County Nursing Home problems are serious and must be actuality and precisely assessed to secure a long term solution. A single board member can do very little by their self. It takes a committee, caucus or county board action to make changes to county problems. What a county board member must do is to be sure his or her vote or action is always in the best interest of Champaign County and is not for any special intrust or a personal agenda.
2. What county services currently offered should be eliminated or reduced?
Well, perhaps the county auditor as he does not show up for work often but still gets paid.
3. What services should the county provide that it does not offer now?
The county should not look for new services as our plate is full at this time.
4. Are there circumstances under which you would vote for another increase in property taxes to support the operation of the Champaign County Nursing Home?
Only consider an increase WITH VOTER APPROVAL and the public understanding it will not solve the problem for ever just move it down the road to a later time.
5. Are there circumstances under which you would vote to sell or close the Champaign County Nursing Home?
Yes. If down the road we cannot make the home financially sound I would hope we could sell, lease; "only close" the doors as a last resort.
6. Do you believe the downtown jail should be closed as soon as possible? If so, do you think an addition would be needed to the satellite (east Urbana) jail?
The downtown jail cannot be closed soon. We need a jail needs study to give some answers to the true condition. However I do not believe we will get a Jail study instead we will get a alliterative to incarceration study.
7. What can the county board do to enhance economic development?
Maintain Champaign County infrastructure to the best of our ability.
8. Does Champaign County need a building code?
NO. Not at this time
9. Should the county or the county board do anything about a coal mine proposed for the Homer area?
Not at this time. Listen to the people in that area.
10. Are there county offices that you believe can be eliminated or consolidated?
See question 2