GUTHRIE — A home's chimney caught fire when a family was using a wood-burning stove Thursday night in rural Guthrie.
Roberts-Melvin Fire Chief Larry Boundy said the fire was reported about 9:30 or 10 p.m. at a single-story ranch-style house at 750 North and 753 East roads in the unincorporated community of Guthrie.
The family living there was using a wood-burning stove at the time, Boundy said. He said the stove's flames caught the chimney on fire, and the fire subsequently spread to a wall and the home's roof.
"First, they thought it was in the wall, and then they went outside and saw it was going up the outside of the house — on the outside wall and on the roof a little bit," Boundy said.
The family escaped without injury, Boundy said.
Boundy was unable to provide an estimate for repair.
Firefighters from Roberts, Melvin and Gibson City responded, staying on scene for about 1 1/2 to two hours.