PAXTON — A central-vacuum system caught fire while a rural Paxton man was cleaning his home Monday afternoon.
Paxton firefighters were called to a report of smoke in a two-story home Illinois 9 east of town at 3:42 p.m., according to Fire Chief Denny Kingren.
The home’s owner, Dan Kupferschmidt, was using the central-vacuum system near a wood-burning stove when it started smoking, Kingren said.
“It appears the occupant might have sucked something in, like a hot ember from the wood-burning stove,” Kingren said. “It caused a fire internally in the vac, which created smoke in the basement and up into the home.”
No injuries were reported.
Firefighters removed the central-vacuum system from the home, Kingren said.
Thirteen Paxton firefighters responded, staying on scene until about 4:30 p.m. Also responding were the Paxton Police Department, Paxton Emergency Response Service, Ford County sheriff’s office and Gibson Area Ambulance Service.