MELVIN — A fire that caused minor damage to the attic of a Melvin home Thursday afternoon appears to have been caused by an electrical issue, said Larry Boundy, chief of the Roberts-Melvin Fire Protection District.
Boundy said 12 firefighters responded at 1:45 p.m. to a report of fire in the attic of a one-story home at 109 N. Hunt St.
The fire started in the attic above a bathroom, Boundy said.
The home's owner, Glenn Netherton, noticed the fire and tried using a fire extinguisher to put it out before firefighters' arrival, Boundy said.
Boundy said Netherton's actions likely limited the damage.
Flames were visible when firefighters arrived. Boundy said they cut a 4- by 4-foot area out of the ceiling and used extinguishers to put out the blaze without using any water.
Firefighters were on scene for about an hour and a half, Boundy said.
No injuries were reported.