RANTOUL - Fire caused an estimated $20,000 damage to a home on the community’s northeast side Saturday afternoon.
Rantoul Fire Chief Ken Waters said firefighters were called to 1204 Briarcliff Drive at 1:07 p.m. Smoke was showing from the eaves and the attic area when they arrived.
Firefighters pulled down the ceiling in the family room and cut a hole in the roof to ventilate it.
Waters said the fire started around a recessed light fixture in the family room.
“They had a blown bulb (Friday) in that fixture,” Waters said, “and removed it, but did not install a new one.”
He said the occupants noticed a smell of smoke, and saw smoke coming from the attic.
Fifteen firefighters responded. They cleared the scene at 2:24 p.m.