A Danville family was relocated following a fire at their apartment building on Tuesday afternoon that was started accidentally by a maintenance worker.
DANVILLE — A Danville family was relocated following a fire at their apartment building on Tuesday afternoon that was started accidentally by a maintenance worker, according to fire officials.
Firefighters were called to the fire at 1025 Grant St. at 12:48 p.m. When they arrived, smoke and fire were coming from the south side of the two-story wood-frame structure, Assistant Chief Tom Pruitt said.
Upon arrival, the first fire crew was told that three small children were inside one of the first-floor units, Pruitt said. He said the crew rescued two infants and a toddler.
"They were not injured at all," Pruitt said, adding the children were turned over to their parents, who were home but outside when firefighters arrived.
He said the American Red Cross was working to relocate the family temporarily.
The large apartment house, owned by Michael Falletti, is divided into four units. Pruitt said the fire apparently started in the basement.
"A maintenance man was trying to thaw out some frozen pipes with a blow torch," he said. "The fire traveled up an outside wall and got into the attic, where a majority of the damage was done."
It took firefighters about 30 minutes to bring the fire under control and put out hot spots, Pruitt said. He said they contained the blaze to an upstairs unit, which suffered fire and heat damage. Other parts of the building suffered smoke and water damage.
Firefighters stayed at the scene another two hours doing overhaul work.
Damage is estimated at about $45,000.