CISSNA PARK — A home in a subdivision north of Cissna Park sustained extensive damage Monday when a fire spread from its fireplace to its attic.
Joe Young, chief of the Cissna Park Fire Protection District, estimated that 25 firefighters from Cissna Park, Buckley, Loda and Milford responded shortly before 11:30 a.m. to the fire at 114 W. Hislop Drive in the Kellart Lake subdivision, located off of Illinois 49 in southern Iroquois County.
The single-story ranch-style home is owned by Larry Martyn and his wife, who were using their fireplace when they smelled smoke and called 911, Young said.
Young said it appears the fire spread from the fireplace, up through the chimney and into the attic.
“There was smoke rolling out of the roof vents when firefighters pulled up (to the home),” Young said.
The damage was isolated to the living room and attic but was “pretty extensive,” Young said.
“It caved the roof in,” Young said. “The center of the house had quite a bit of damage to it.”
Firefighters had the fire put out by 3 p.m.
No injuries were reported.