The cause of a fire that destroyed a two-story house and garage in Ludlow on Friday remains undetermined.
LUDLOW — The cause of a fire that destroyed a two-story house and garage in Ludlow on Friday remains undetermined.
Fire Chief Dave Ingleman said it appeared the fire at the home of Jim and Carla Bina in the 200 block of West Ludlow Street started in the garage.
A neighbor, Kevin Moore, who lives about a block south of the residence, said he heard a couple of explosions not long before he heard sirens.
“I was sitting out in the back yard and drinking a beer when I heard a couple of loud booms, and didn’t think anything about it,” Moore said.
Not long afterward, he heard sirens as emergency crews responded to the fire.
Ingleman said the noise might have been caused by aerosol cans exploding.
Ludlow firefighters were called about 3:30 p.m. Paxton and Rantoul firefighters were called to assist. Ingleman said about 12 Ludlow firefighters and eight each from Paxton and Rantoul responded.
About 12 hours later — 3:30 a.m. Saturday — firefighters were called back when the fire rekindled.
“The fire got up into the walls,” Ingleman said. “We couldn’t get up in there and get it, so we’re just going to let it burn. By the time it’s
done it’s going to be completely on the ground.”
The fire chief said the Binas were home at the time of the fire and escaped safely.
Moore lamented the loss of the residence.
“It was a beautiful home,” he said.